New Aquarium setup advice

Spearfisher88

Hello Everyone,

I have grown out of my 25 gallon cube and have decided that I have to add a larger tank to my house. So after some research and a great price I decided to go with a new PNP SC Aquarium for now. I am still pretty new at the hobby and have the basics down. That being said I would like to ask some advice on a couple of things while setting up the new tank.

If I take water from the cube as well as some of the live rock will that allow the tank to cycle almost instantly (or at least in a week or so)?

Also I am planning on making the primary aquascape out of new dry rock. Do I need to do anything with the dry rock before putting it into the tank or is it good to go out of the box? Planning on ordering from bulk reef supply.

Side not. I will eventually take the live rock from 66 cube out and put back into the 25 cube.

Thanks for the help everyone and I will post plenty of pictures of the build. Should be receiving the tank Friday :lolspin: :lolspin:

I have done this a few time, I went from a 12 gallon to a 36 and now to a 40 breeder. In my case, I have moved everything from one tank to the next, except the sand and have not had a cycle. However, a larger jump with just some of the live rock might be different.

Just as a precaution, I would get Dr. Tim one and only and add it to the new tank to help ensure the bacteria population is enough.

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/

I would cycle the dry rock ahead of time separate from your livestock. A bucket or small tub with a powerhead is fine.

Transferring the water will not help the cycle since almost all of the beneficial bacteria is on the live rock or sand.

If you are going to transfer your sand, make sure you rinse it extremely well or you could cause a cycle and kill your livestock when you move the tank over. I'm speaking from a very painful experience on this one, unfortunately.

It is typically best to get new sand if that is an option to you. You will likely need additional sand at minimum to cover your larger footprint on the new tank. Cure the new rock separately if it is an option but I have skipped this step several times and been fine adding dry rock to my tank, that said i typically run a very light bioload.

It is typically best to get new sand if that is an option to you. You will likely need additional sand at minimum to cover your larger footprint on the new tank. Cure the new rock separately if it is an option but I have skipped this step several times and been fine adding dry rock to my tank, that said i typically run a very light bioload.

I was thinking more to head off any potential phosphate issues.

I was thinking more to head off any potential phosphate issues.

From reusing sand? it could happen and definitely rinse it thoroughly if you decide to reuse sand. I would prefer to just use new sand simply because old sand can harbor excess nutrients and transferring it would certainly distribute those nutrients into the water column. Either way, whenever I swap tanks it is always accompanied by a small water change everyday for a week just to be certain parameters don't go crazy.

From reusing sand? it could happen and definitely rinse it thoroughly if you decide to reuse sand. I would prefer to just use new sand simply because old sand can harbor excess nutrients and transferring it would certainly distribute those nutrients into the water column. Either way, whenever I swap tanks it is always accompanied by a small water change everyday for a week just to be certain parameters don't go crazy.

Sorry, I was referring to the dry rock portion of your post. I agree re: the sand, I never recommend re-using it if you can afford to spend a little extra on new sand.

I think I am going to by cycled live rock from my LFS. If I go that route should I just use all new water, New sand, and the cycled rock to make the system cycle quickly?

That would help, for sure. What do you have in your existing aquarium that you're moving over?

I'm honestly not sure I am going to move anything from the cube now. My Zoanthids have not been opening lately and I have been looking for a solution, but coming up short of anything except the flow may be too high in the area they are in. I also seem to have a good amount of Aiptasia growing in the tank that I need to treat and I don't want to move that over to the new tank. Once I have that under control and know that I don't have a parasite then I will probably move these corals:
Hammer coral
Duncan
2 frog spawns
torch
maybe some of the zoanthids

Back