New Baby, New House... New Priorities (selling everything related to the hobby)

phorge

It's with great regret that I show the sad state my tank is currently in, but I need to pass it on. This was a beautiful tank not that long ago, I just can't do it any longer.

I bought a new house back in April and we moved in a few weeks after that. Baby arrived in mid-July and here it is September and the saltwater tank is still in the old house and in a shameful state. With the new baby I just don't have the time to keep up with it any longer and need to get rid of everything so I can get the old house in real estate.

It hasn't been thoroughly cleaned since October and aside from keeping up with the ATO and feeding the lone Hawkfish not much of anything else has been done either. It's gross... I'm ashamed to post it, but hope to find a new home for everything.

I want to sell everything as a package. I know this is a long shot, but I'd rather not try and sell stuff individually. As I'm in Farmington, I seriously doubt I'll get enough interested parties to make the drive to buy little bits at a time.

On to the stuff…

I have about 60 images I took. Here is a link to a shared Google Photos album... if that doesn't work, I'll upload them to Imgur and link them all.
https://goo.gl/photos/aNaLJm1p4hTg98XH6

72 Gallon Oceanic Metals Collection Bowfront (Stainless & Black)
• I bought this approximately 10-11 years ago from a place on Watson (don't remember the name). The tank was not reef ready, but came with glass tops and the hood. 5 years ago I drilled the tank and installed 2 overflows in the back. While I had the tank drained, I went ahead and striped all the silicone and resealed the whole tank with RTV black silicone.

Approx. 100lbs live rock.
• I bought 80-90 lbs of live rock when I started the tank 10-11 years ago. I bought a few additional pieces here and there over the years. All the rock is currently in the tank.

Livestock
• I know there is still a flame hawkfish in the tank. Beyond that, there was a Rose Bubble Anemone that had divided several times that is likely still hiding, but no guarantees.

Aqueon ProFlex Sump Model 1
• It took me forever to find a sump that would fit under a 72 Bowfront. This works beautifully. Has a Coralife Mini Aqualight T5 fixture on the sump.

Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 Cone Protein Skimmer
• I've replaced the pump on this skimmer once and it appears to need replaced again. It came with an Atman AT2500 pump and that is also what I replaced it with a few years ago. Not sure if it would be best to buy another AT2500 or try and find something better. When the skimmer is working, it works great.

Titanium Heater
• 300 Watts

VorTech MP40w ES
• I hate to think about how much I paid for this 5 years ago. The powerhead runs fine, but after a short while the controller begins flashing and the propeller stops. I think the prop just needs taken apart and cleaned. Worst case scenario a new wet side assembly.

Custom Battery Backup for VorTech
• I bought a 12v 18Ah SLA battery and a Battery Tender float charger and wired up a compatible plug for the VorTech controller. This provides way more runtime should the power go out than the official battery offered by VorTech.

Reef Angel Controller
• This has never been used. I'm a techie and the thought of an Open Source Reef Controller really piqued my interest. I bought this several years ago, but never used it. I had the module plugged in the entire time I've owned it to keep the internal battery from dying, but it has never been seen a drop of water. I still have the box everything came in. I have the controller, temp probe, dimmable moonlights, and a few other bits for it.

Custom Light Fixture
• I had one of the engineers at work make this fixture out of 8020 aluminum extrusion. It has (2) 250W Metal

Halide lamps and (2) 54W T5HO bulbs as well as a Current USA Nova 24" 14W T5 460NM light. This 14W light is linkable to others (I have several more new in a box). There are (4) 120mm and (2) 80mm 12v fans.

Bulk Reef Supply Deluxe Carbon / GFO Reactor
• I have additional carbon and GFO as well.

Books
• The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook, Natural Reef Aquariums, Aquarium Corals, Marine Invertebrates, and Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung.

Dry Rock / Sand

• Approx 50-60 pounds. I have about half a 5 gallon bucket and a Styrofoam cooler pretty well full. I also have 2 bags of "live" sand. These were damaged in shipping years ago and replacements sent. I salvaged the bags and with a good rinse it's some nice fine grain sand to use.

Reverse Osmosis / DI system
• Bought it from Filter Direct. I have additional resin, charcoal, and sediment filters as well.

Water containers
• 20 Gallon Brute SW mixing container
• 44 Gallon RO storage container (plumbed with shut-off float valve)
• (2) 5 Gallon water jugs (used for keeping the tank ATO fed)

Return Pumps
• Gen-X PCX 40
• Little Giant 3-MDQX-SC (honestly can't remember if this one is currently working. When doing inventory for this post I found it taken apart... can't remember back far enough if I had started to rebuild it, or had finished rebuilding it)
• Pan World NH-40PX (this is the return pump I've been using ever since I drilled the tank and added the sump)

Spare Parts / Miscellaneous
• Assorted Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 fittings, Tees, Unions, and valves
• Assorted Spaflex and PVC pipe
• Additional tubes of RTV Silicone
• DI Resin (both new clean resin and dirty if you want to recharge it)
• Eggcrate (I have both black and white pieces of plastic egg crate for frags)
• Additional filter socks and sock holders
• 175W Single Ended Metal Halide Pendant & Reef Fanatic Ballast + extra bulb
• Assorted color temperature new in box Actinic 48" 54W bulbs
• A ton of 5 gal buckets
• Top with light for a 10 gallon tank
• (2) Seaclone Skimmers (need I say anything about these?... I kept them around for repurposing, but let’s not kid ourselves about their ability to skim a tank)
• Mag 12 Pump (have been using it to mix salt water)
• Assorted pumps / power heads... a little mix of everything. Mostly old MaxiJet pumps and fittings, but a few others as well.
• Additional heaters
• Air pumps (at least 1 still new in the box)
• Air stones (some are the wood diffusers, others the more pumice-like)
• Additional 9" T5 bulbs for refugium
• Additional (mostly used) 250W DE MH bulbs (might be 1 pair brand new, but several spare used ones)
• Random assortment of screw based power compact aquarium bulbs from some 10 gallon tanks I used to have
• Partial box of Reef Crystals salt
• (2) 3 Drawer Plastic Storage Containers (what most of the misc parts are in)
• (2) Closetmade brand black particle board cabinets (I cut a hole in the back of the bottom cabinet to run the wires in from the tank and to hold all the assorted timers and ballasts). The top cabinet is in good shape, the bottom cabinet has sucked up some water from when I lost power for several days and the tank had overflowed. It's fine for storage, but it's not real pretty when you look at it up close.
• Multiple Test Kits
• Fragging Kit (looks like a set of surgical tools)
• Assorted syringes, scalpels, and forceps
• Chemicals, additives, food... you name it
• Additional float valves and other parts for many DIY projects that never happened
• Additional waterproof T5HO connectors
• Additional halide connectors (both socket and double ended)
• Icecap 660 ballast
• Complete 4x65W power compact retrofit setup from my old light fixture
• 36" reflectors and T5 bulbs (I found this all still new in the box with packing slips - I don't even remember why I bought it)
• Hannah Phosphate Checker (additional sealed package of reagents as well)
• JBJ ATO controller
• And so much more! Seriously... if it's even tangibly related to the aquarium and I still have it, it's included.

Here's the kicker... I really, really, really would love to have this all gone no later than the end of this weekend (Sunday 9/11). I want to have the carpets in the house professionally cleaned, but obviously would like the aquarium gone first. I've worked around the tank while getting the house ready to sell putting off the inevitable... but I've came to the conclusion it all just has to go. I'd love to bring at least part of it to the new house, but it's not in the cards. It wouldn't be fair to the animals to let them get neglected again because realistically I just don't have the time. I'm a dad now and that has to come first (so long for now hobbies!).

I am more than willing to help do everything I can to break down all the equipment and get it loaded (I may even be persuaded to haul some of it myself if you aren't too far and can't get it all in one trip... obviously you need to come look at it all in person and most importantly pay me before that's going to happen).

Thinking about all the money sunk into this equipment (and generally speaking, this whole hobby) makes a person sick when it comes time to getting rid of it. I know I have several thousands of dollars that's been spent since the beginning.

$750 takes it all. Surely an enterprising person wants to buy the whole lot and part it out at the Frag Swap on Sunday, right? I know if I took the time to clean everything and part it out I could get more... but it's not about the money so much as the time at this point. I need everything gone.

Bump... I also threw it up on Craigslist and someone low-balled me at $350. Considering how much the tank is holding up progress on the house I'll likely take it if I don't get any additional offers. I would much rather find someone already in the hobby from here on ReefCentral. Selling it by today was wishful thinking, but as long as it's gone before next weekend I'll be happy.

I'll also consider donating everything if it is to a 501(c)(3) and I can get a tax slip.

What type of unions and plumbing parts do you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, just funning a bit here, but ALL that equipment and supplies for a hawk fish and RBTA?!?!? Whoa:) Congrats on the new house and baby:D

Not saying I'm interested anything but I have a guy I work with lives down that way who is just getting into salt water. When I get back to work Wednesday I can show him the add. What kind of condition is the tank in? Scratches xcetera

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

What type of unions and plumbing parts do you have

It's just a random assortment. Most is 1", but there is a bit of 3/4" and 1.5".

Attachments

• IMG_20160906_100215-small.jpg
    IMG_20160906_100215-small.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2
OK, just funning a bit here, but ALL that equipment and supplies for a hawk fish and RBTA?!?!? Whoa:) Congrats on the new house and baby:D

Yeah, I had a lot more livestock and coral at one point in time (and additional tanks). That said, I did have a problem with buying too much equipment for projects that never got off the ground.

Not saying I'm interested anything but I have a guy I work with lives down that way who is just getting into salt water. When I get back to work Wednesday I can show him the add. What kind of condition is the tank in? Scratches xcetera

It's just dirty and needs the algae and salt creep scrubbed off more than anything. That being said, the tank is ~ 11 years old so I'm sure there are some scratches. When the tank is clean and full off water I haven't noticed any large scratches... I'm sure when it's drained it will look much worse, but I haven't seen a tank that didn't look way more scratched up when empty compared to when running.

I've got to go to Vegas for work on Thursday and Friday, so if he is interested it will likely be Saturday morning before I can meet up with him.

I will buy the heater, rodi system, live rock, sand and prolly a few other things.... could meet tomorrow. Cash. Ill take as much as I can use from ya... starting a 90 gallon

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2 heaters, dry rock, bagged sand, reef test kit, and RODI system and all resin and filters are sold.

I'm parting things out now... lets get rid of some stuff!

I think all PMs have been replied to now.

One of the messages was inquiring about the plumbing details of the tank. I'm going to paste my response in the thread since these were some details I missed on the original post. I'll also update with more pics of the plumbing particulars.

The tank is drilled 4x on the back glass. Twice in the center up top for the overflow box, and once on each end up top for the returns. The overflows are 1" with SCH80 bulkheads. The returns are 0.75" also with SCH80 bulkheads. There are several unions and ball valves. I believe the drains convert to Spaflex before entering the filter sock chamber of the sump. I believe the return comes from the pump, to a union, then a ball valve, then to some flexible PVC up to the return bulkhead and from there it is lockline in the tank with a fan nozzle on each.

I'll get some pictures and verify all the above.

The biggest thing I need right now is for someone to buy all the live rock. Estimating 100lbs. Yes, there is a lot of algae on it, but it should clean up well with a brush and some time. I'll throw in the 20G and 44G water containers to whomever buys the rock to keep the clean and dirty rock separate as they go through it all. $175 for all the rock and containers. At least if I get rid of the rock I can break the system down and move it to storage at the new house if I have to.

The only things sold is what I listed on the 18th that Blu3s94 bought (RODI, etc). I can't update the original post, but here is some pricing breakdowns (I don't want to completely piecemeal this with individual prices, so I'll list some "bundles" to try and move more stuff at once).

Buy EVERYTHING that's left (aka, Deal of the Century!)
$350

All Live Rock + (2) Brute water containers
$150

Tank, Stand, Plumbing, Sump, Fuge Light, Skimmer, Return Pump, Tank Light, ATO
$200

Vortech MP40wES, Battery, Charger, and every other powerhead I can find
$125

Reef Angel Controller
$100

Everything else that isn't listed above with a price (aka, Spare Parts Deluxe)
$100 (The New in Box Icecap 660 is worth more than that alone).

So, I'm highly motivated to dump this all in one go to be done with it (my grouped pricing is way less than my "bundles").

Everything that was left was sold to mjpelikan. Thanks for all the interest. I hope in a few years I'll be able to get my daughter interested in fish and get back in the hobby... it's so fun and rewarding when you have time to keep up with it.

Until next time...

Back