New build

ghost78

-steve
So even though I just upgraded from from a 65 to a 90, as it seems in this hobby not a moment later I'm doing it again!

But this time I'm finally breaking the 100 gallon mark and moving into a 175! I'll post some pictures with the progress!

Quick opinion poll: submersible pump or external pump and what brands would you recommend?

External,less heat. I am currently using a dart. On my 75g I used a little giant and on our 2 65g we use the marineland. One external and one in sump.

Last edited:
External. Reeflo Dart super gold here. I went with a less expensive pump and it was too loud which seems to be the only downside to an external pump.

External. Reeflo Dart super gold here. I went with a less expensive pump and it was too loud which seems to be the only downside to an external pump.

good point, my wife would not be happy with a loud pump. just to clarify are you saying the reeflo is loud or a pump that you had previously?

the iwaki's are really nice but really expensive and the biggest pump they have only puts out a little over 2000 gph

i was thinking i needed some where around 2500- 3000 gph is that over kill?

also i have been using a mag drive with MH on my 90 and i still have not needed a chiller... so heat doesn't seem to be a big issue is that the only down side to submersible?

175g! Nice!!! Look into an external pump. Reeflo Dart Hybrids are sweet quite pumps with plenty of flow for a system your size. I would also recommend going with a couple of Eheim 1262 pumps, you can mount them externally, they are super quiet and the redundancy would be an added bonus. This past weekend, I helped a friend install one on his 75g system, to replace a Blueline 40HD, and I am very impressed with how quite the system became with the new Eheim.

Our original setup had an external pump (Mag 36) and twice the impeller cover cracked and we woke up to wet squishy carpet, so changed to submersible. For that reason we would only go submersible.

Back