New clam need advice

Westpat

I bought a clam yesterday from a store that was going out of biz. I knew it was a clam when I first saw it, the mantle was blue but it was not open that much.(About 3" long, I think either maxima or crocea) It closed right away when I put my hand over it. I think it was not very open due to no circulation at the time.

Anyway, when the actinics came on I found it standing on its end in the sand this morning. I thought one of the fish had uprooted it so I laid it back over. I noticed that it had part of its mantle? out and it was covered in sand. It got very angry at me and closed some.

When I stood it back on its side its tongue? came out and started sweeping the sand then it jabbed something down in the sand. I went ahead and fed the fish and noticed a little feeder arm coming out?

What I want to know if is this normal behavior, and should I let the halide come on like it normally would, or will the intense light make it stop its progress? I have tried to educate myself about clams, but I have no practical experience.

Any thoughts and what to expect would be great!
Thanks,
David

How would I know if it had been focibly detached? What I tought was algae on it yesterday I think may be broken bissle fibers.

Please help,
David

Here is some reading I have found helpfull. The 4th one gives a description of the bysal gland.
The 2nd one gives tips on placement of clams.

Hope this helps.

edited to add: You should get Daniel Kopp's book Giant Clams.

I cut back my photo period on the halide, and that has brought it out a bit more. Right now it is standing on its head again, and I believe it is tryin to attach itself to the base of the live rock I set it near. I am going to keep the lights shortened for another week then work back up to normal.

Any thoughts appreciated!

David

David, it would really help if we knew what you had. Can you post a picture or two? What does the shell look like? Is it smooth? Does it have ridges?

Did you read the above 5 links?

Clams need tons of light, so I'd have to say that shortening your lighting period is a mistake no matter what type of clam you have. If the clam wants to attach, let it. That is, of course, if it isn't attaching in a shaded area.

Are you feeding phtyoplankton to your tank yet?

Look for a new thread from me. I'm going to post a picture of my Blue Maxima. You can compare the shell to your own.

Back