New hobby

cbruce24

Im new to this so bare with me here. Im setting up my first salt water tank and this is what I have so far:

60 Gallon Rimless Cube (overflow)
Stand
RO/DI filter
sump(but im going to return as its to small) build my own from a 10 gal tank

plan on buying:
Radeon LED Light
Red octo protein skimmer
Heater (should i buy one or two)
Power heads
Salt water mixing station
ETC items.

2 Heaters, 2 powerheads, and if the display tank is elevated (99.9999% are) then you'll want a small submersible pump to help with water changes (mouth siphoning sucks, literally).

You'll also want:
- Refractometer
- Upgrade the sump to a 20gallon, trust me, you'll thank me later. 10G can be done but it's too small to make a beneficial sump IMO, especially on that big of a tank.
- Consider running a Biopellet reactor right off the bat, best add-on to my tank I've ever done.

I suggest planning out as much as possible up front with an end goal in mind, it will help make the setup much smoother.

Welcome to RC and reefing :D

2 Heaters, 2 powerheads, and if the display tank is elevated (99.9999% are) then you'll want a small submersible pump to help with water changes (mouth siphoning sucks, literally).

You'll also want:
- Refractometer
- Upgrade the sump to a 20gallon, trust me, you'll thank me later. 10G can be done but it's too small to make a beneficial sump IMO, especially on that big of a tank.
+1
Good test kits are a must have
Use your 10g for a QT tank you will need one!

Nevermind i got it haha. The inside of my stand is roughly: 23"Wide, 30" Tall, 22" Deep
I think the only one size custom sump i can put in there is a 10 gallon mabe a 15 gallon.

hopefully a 20 gallon sump will fit into my stand. Also what is a QT tank?

Quarantine - Its a smaller 2nd tank to house new fish before introducing them to your display tank. Typically you would add a new fish in there for 4-6 weeks to monitor them for parasites or disease before adding them to the tank with the others. This way you can medicate them if needed. If you don't you run a very high risk of putting a single sick fish into your tank thus infecting the entire population which could be disastrous. This tank just needs the basics, filtration, heat, and a small powerhead. No sand or rocks just a couple pvc plumbing fittings for the fish to hide in.

Quarantine - Its a smaller 2nd tank to house new fish before introducing them to your display tank. Typically you would add a new fish in there for 4-6 weeks to monitor them for parasites or disease before adding them to the tank with the others. This way you can medicate them if needed. If you don't you run a very high risk of putting a single sick fish into your tank thus infecting the entire population which could be disastrous. This tank just needs the basics, filtration, heat, and a small powerhead. No sand or rocks just a couple pvc plumbing fittings for the fish to hide in.

+1

A QT (quarantine tank) can be setup to run 24/7/365 like your Display (Main) Tank (DT), or it can be run on a case by case basis. I utilize mine daily for different functions (quarantining fish / corals, acclimating newcomers to my system, and also to populate dry rock), but most importantly my QT is setup just in case something bad happens in the DT and I need to house some fish/corals.

Back