New Live Rock...What is this animal?

He's in a 2.5.

Would a glass set at an angle work?

Or how about a shorty water bottle with the top only cut off at a slight angle. I hope he's famished.

Waterkeeper. I love your name and thanks for the words.

Last edited:
!

!

He's caught!

My rocks will never be the same again. But I learned a lot.

First...those scary dark holes are scary because that's where scary things go!
:eek:

Second...a hammer and big flat screwdrivers can be handled gently enough to get them out.

Third...the green stuff I thought was maybe turtle grass got upset and lost the color on the top. hmm... I don't think it was grass...

Third...hmmm...another 1/3 is wondering if I had that long worm before or after I put in that creepy, scary rock?

And last but not least...if I get the feeling that a store has only got bad rocks, don't buy any, no matter how far I drove.:eek2:

Then, I have to wonder if I've caused a new cycle of sorts...I spose I have...:bounce2:

Well, thanks guys. At least I feel safer reaching into my tank again! lol
:eek1:

I will try to get a photo up.

Here is a photo of my new rock arrangement
post-Mr-Crabbs.jpg

Here is Mr. Crabbs:

Mr_Crabbs02.jpg

Last edited:
aha!

aha!

Hmmm. Where do I start?

Notice in the picture of the crab he is missing a couple legs?

Hmm...I looked everywhere and didn't find them. No shell, nothing.

Hmmm...My son, with a grin said he went down early this morning "I turned on the light and saw the crab! He was sitting on top of the rocks.":rolleyes:

My son had gone to bed long before the chisel and hammer came out.

So I guess that explains why I'm seeing flashes of color and little tiny life that swims very fast only. I have another crab. Hmmm. Wonder if it's the same kind?

Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon

Well, I've only seen him streak past a hole. It was an orange flash of color.

My son said he was mostly red, with a little white on his (maybe) joints and his mouth has the little hanger white shapes.

So...could THIS be the real porcelain crab?

My son said he looks like this but more red. And I mean lots more red.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1890_20701374
Whatever he is, his name is ...guess? Flash Gordon! YES.

So I guess he's tough, he survived one cycle already. :bounce3:

Wo hoooo!

hmmm

hmmm

I sure hope it's a different kind. The other was a gorilla crab. He was kinda cute though.

Maybe if I look later tonight I'll see this one. I put a couple crumbs of food out.

The porcelain is a filter feeder. If you watch, his mouth parts are waving a net back and forth. A very desirable crab.

heater?

heater?

I looked last night, but no luck. He is clever.

What is really surprising me is that my little 2.5 is doing so well.(I believe.)

I have checked the levels regularly and they are all staying steady where they belong.

The heater tends to keep it closer to 80 but there is no adjustment, and it is very stable. Last night got kind of windy and it did dip a few degrees.

The 5.5 gallon only has a few LR in it. I bought a cheap heater (forot the rule: you get what you pay for). It got down to 70degrees or so. The poor little(he's big really) hermit crab is hiding in his shell.

What is a good, stable, and reasonably priced heater, anyone?

The last thing I expected was to have problems with a larger tank. Maybe my theory was right I guess...bigger just makes nooby mistakes more expensive?:bounce1: Go figure.

Back