new mag, new worries ?

I'm cautious about market seafood. I've lost a few BTA's to market shrimp and clams. I suspect they are sprayed with some preservative so they can sit in the meat cooler longer. The poor nems would devour the food, only to sit drooping with mouth gaping open and innards hanging out a couple days after. I won't risk it with my Ritteri. He gets freshly caught wild salmon that I've frozen rock hard to be sure there's no bugs. Fresh fish does not stink.

Another alternative are cleaned live Nightcrawlers from the bait store. You'll know a healthy worm when you see one. And since they're so fragile, I can assume they've got no harmful chemicals on them. But I like to use fresh fish when I can.

Anybody have any other alternatives to getting SAFE foods to our nems?

A lot of seafood that's safe for human consumption is treated with STPP, a preservative that helps to maintain moisture (I think it adds water weight as well, so sellers make more money). I think it's the cause of the soapy feeling when rinsing frozen shrimp. Recently I've seen more places advertising "not treated with STPP" on their shrimp.

Fortunately, in my area many stores sell "sushi-grade" fish including tuna, salmon, and other salt water fish. Most are flash frozen to kill parasites and are generally safe to feed nems. My go-to choices are wild salmon and "maguro" aka bluefin tuna.

Recently I've been getting lazy and just shooting my gigs squirts of LRS Fertility Frenzy, because I feed it to my clownfish pairs. I also used LRS Fish Frenzy. Seems to work well and both foods include many different types of fish and other quality ingredients.

Thanks...I guess I'll just use fresh caught sea bass .(I catch alot of those this time of yr) or rockfish.

Btw: just picked up a pair of RED SEA bicinctus today...currently in observation ,trying to decide whether they need meds...so far -they ate right out of the bag ! good sign..pics when they settle down..

Back