New Members and Introductions

Jacob D

I thought I'd start a thread for new members and introductions. The NVR group started off pretty small and many of us know eachother by first name now. I'd like to encourage anyone new (or not so new) to the club to post a little about yourself and/or your tank.

I remember my first ever reef club meeting and not knowing anyone (different club) was a little intimidating. After posting in the forum I found it easier to approach people at meetings and I met all kinds of crazy reefers :D

Last edited:
I'll go first :)

My name is Jacob (or Jake if you prefer). My current tank is a 75g mixed reef that is just over 2 years old. I've swapped a lot of corals in and out but finally tried to settle on some that I really liked and leave them alone. Almost everything in the tank has been grown from very small frags so it is rewarding to see some of the corals starting to fill in the spaces now that I'm letting them do their thing.

Other than reefing I'm into outdoor activities with my wife and friends, especially snowboarding. I'm looking into doing some beer brewing in the near future too!

Look for the tall guy with glasses and spikey hair at the next meeting and that would be me!

Hello, I'm Thayer,
4th year student at UOP. Current tank setup is a 11gal DIY nano cube, with a 10gal sump (~6 gals of water in it). Will be the home to a mixed population of corals (hard and soft) as well as a fish or two.. In addition to reefing, I like traveling, computer games, photography and generally being outdoors..
I'm glad that my girlfriend puts up with my expensive hobbies ;)

Nano at work

Nano at work

Hello!
My name is Sandra, I have a 12 gallon nano at work. I have two fish, Jack and Trogdor that keep me entertained everyday, and a Randall pistol shrimp...named Randall of course. I have tried having a mixed tank but I have decided that I am going to stick with the softies. I have an especially big nepthea that needs to be fragged soon.
I have had my tank for about 1 1/2 years and while it seems things grow slowly, looking back at my old pictures and seeing the tank now, shows me how quickly things have grown. It is pretty cool. My other hobbies are reading, snowboarding, shopping for shoes, and starting projects but not finishing them.

Well I guess it's my turn to say something huh!

My name is Greg I have a 40 gallon at home mostly softies with about 5 fish. I recently entered the world of having a sump! I also have a 12 gallon nano at work with all softies at the moment.

About me: I've been employed at The Record for the past 18 years in the IT dept. As far as hobbies I like to collect fingernail clippings from aliens, I'm into dirt art and I really enjoy a good egg salad sandwich! Kidding.. of course.. well not about the fingernail clippings! As for the real hobbies I've really been getting into the Stockton Thunder hockey, doing audio and video projects, playing music [guitar, mandolin] with friends and that's about all I have time for anymore.. oh and tivo!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Josh , I am still in the planning stages of my setup but I should be going in a few months. I have a 72 BF RR with an ASM G2 and oceanic model 1 sump, mag 9.5 for return. thats it so far, still working on the rest. I plan on 2x250 with some sort of actinic, about 125 lbs LR and a 4-5" DSB with flow coming from a CL system as i dont like powerheads. But that is all subject to change at a moments notice. I dont post much but I sure am a good lurker. Thanks for letting me introduce myself
Josh

Anyone in the paradise/chico area that wants to talk reefs feel free to PM me Im always willing to talk SW

Hi Josh. Nice to meet you.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good plan together for your first reef tank. If you have any questions or just want to talk shop feel free to use the forum; our club as well as the rest of Reef Central has a lot of info to offer! And of course if you can make it out to a meeting you're definitely welcome to come by.

Jacob.

Well, My name is Tommy and new to this forum and to this hobby for that matter. I am an absolute beginner to this. I recently was given what seems to be a 45 gal tank and an 10 or 12 gallon tank. I think I will use the 45 as a QT tank and the 10/12 as a sump maybe. But like I said absolutely new to this. I hope to meet some of you soon! I wont be able to make the meeting this weekend as I have to work. I work a 6 on 3 off graveyard schedule. I am glad that there are people in my area that can help with the god awful amount of questions I will be asking. LOL Talk to you all soon!

Thought id introduce myself. My name is Nick. Ive been keeping saltwater fish for about 14 years. I worked at a LFS in stockton for 3 years and a LFS in modesto for a year. I now own my own business and create/maintain large scale tanks. I also sell wholesale and lease tanks privately to my customers. I currently have 2 80g tiered with a 60g sump. Both 80's full of coral and the 60 sump is a fuge with mud. I also have a 90g tall with discuss in my living room. No one is really an expert at this hobby and I cant wait to learn everyones tips and techniques.

Last edited:
Hey Nick welcome to the club. It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience for us to gain from as well. Are you still local to the area?

I currently live near Stockton. Ive actually been out of retail for about a year now. Im in the process of building a 2 car garage in my backyard for the housing and storage of aquariums. My plan is to get some huge tanks running for frags, to be traded, sold and placed into tanks im creating. Also for the acclimation of rare angels, tangs and wrasses, this way assuring success when i do put them into aquariums. My experience is mostly broad range and i focused more on selling products when i was in retail. Now im looking to specialize in large scale reef. ***** has asked me to come work for ********* on the weekends to help educate some of the workers there. Hopefully i can get him to put halides on the two 180 plexis he has. Basically i will be there to pass on my knowledge to the employees while selling products. should be fun. i worked at *******, and when i quit ***** was hired. I then went to tropical haven and worked for ***, till i quit there. If anyone would like to contact me i have MSN : NickFontane@yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good plan. Captive propagation is big these days and a great way to minimize the impact of our hobby on wild reefs. A lot of people in the club are into fragging and trading frags. Sooner or later NVR will host a frag swap or similar event, although in the NVR tradition we want to make sure we put our own spin on it :)

Hi all,

My name's JJ. I saw the NVreefers posting at Carter's and I thought I'd join. I've probably seen a few members around town b/c im sure you all are always at Twins or at Carters. I'll be glad to get acquainted with everyone...see ya the valley brewery.

Oh, I'll post some pics of my tank on the main forums soon.

Hey guys!!
My name is Brian. My 2 tanks right now are a 20gal Fish only tank... that was first attempt at a saltwater. i've have that running for about 3 years. I also have a 55gal reef tank, that unfortunatly i'm struggeling with (more or less w/ heat issues). Other than my fish tanks i have a 3ft. ball python named manny, and a 2yr old papillion named rocco... yeah a dog. For the most part i am a student... working odd jobs when i need money for tank upkeep. I enjoy doing pretty much anything outdoor... camping, snowboarding, wakeboarding, hiking... ect. I havent been an NVR member for very long. Maybe a month or so. But yeah I'm lovin the help, and the cool people. Lookin foward to gettin to know all of you!

Back