New ro unit help

Are you storing the water at all before testing, or are you taking it straight from the output and testing? What is the TDS of your feed water (from the tap), and after the membrane (before DI)? Also, What did you calibrate your TDS meter with?

The ppm before DI is 21ppm and water out through Di is 3ppm and water flow in is 227ppm. Does thus sound right?

You do realize that all canisters have the input/output lines at the top of the canister? It's the inner cartridge and whether the input line is at the top of the cartridge or on the side determines where the water goes?

If the incoming water is on the outside of the inner cartridge, it's being pushed up through the resin. If the incoming water is at the top of the cartridge, the the water is being forced down through the resin.

I'm pretty sure you do realize how they work, it's just your explaining makes it sound like the water line should be at the bottom of the canister.

No your kinda right, I did not remember some canisters do in fact have both in/out at the top....I have not had one of these for years, mine all have input at one end output at other. If I put water in the top, sometimes the water can "channel" itself through the Resin, and not get as much contact and leads to slight TDS readings 1-6 at tines. When I reverse the flow, the water cannot "channel" and readings are 0-1.

Sorry that's my fault in assuming all RODI units process the same way, thus is incorrect

So now I know how they both work, but seems that they can still be reversed....

Last edited:
The ppm before DI is 21ppm and water out through Di is 3ppm and water flow in is 227ppm. Does thus sound right?

IMO, 21 before DI is about right but should do better, I still think DI should still be 0-1.

Mine is 146, 11, and the output reads between 0-2, but many factors can affect end result.

My apologies if I mixed you up in the direction, the RODI's I work with do not have input/output at the top, mine have input on one end, out on the other, so your process is different than mine, thus, the direction does not apply to your filter.

Last edited:
No your kinda right, I did not remember some canisters do in fact have both in/out at the top....I have not had one of these for years, mine all have input at one end output at other. If I put water in the top, sometimes the water can "channel" itself through the Resin, and not get as much contact and leads to slight TDS readings 1-6 at tines. When I reverse the flow, the water cannot "channel" and readings are 0-1.

Sorry that's my fault in assuming all RODI units process the same way, thus is incorrect

The is a separate cartridge you fill with the di and then put into the canister. The water can only be pushed through the bottom and out the top.

This seems like a pretty low rejection rate. With 227 in and 21 out you are getting about 90.2% rejection. Most membranes get 96-98% rejection. There could be a couple of things causing this. Water temp could be so cold that it reduces rejection or pressure is to low. Do you know the temp going into the unit and the pressure? I assume the pressure is ok, since it has a booster pump.

If neither of these are the issue, more investigation will be needed.

My incoming pressure is 70psi, temp is 63.3
Maybe that helps you judge against yours...

My incoming pressure is 70psi, temp is 63.3
Maybe that helps you judge against yours...

Your pressure is fine, but the temp is a bit lower than ideal. There really isn't anything you can do about that. Besides that really shouldn't affect the final product. It will just cause your resin to exhaust faster.

My last thought is that it could be that the resin is getting old. I know the unit is new to you, but if the manufacturer filled the canisters in advance and then the unit sat in their warehouse a while, it could already be somewhat depleted. The resin starts to deplete as soon as it is exposed to air. This is a bit of a long shot, but could be an part of the problem.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you solve this, but I am out of ideas. Maybe someone else will chime in some other thoughts.

Your pressure is fine, but the temp is a bit lower than ideal. There really isn't anything you can do about that. Besides that really shouldn't affect the final product. It will just cause your resin to exhaust faster.

My last thought is that it could be that the resin is getting old. I know the unit is new to you, but if the manufacturer filled the canisters in advance and then the unit sat in their warehouse a while, it could already be somewhat depleted. The resin starts to deplete as soon as it is exposed to air. This is a bit of a long shot, but could be an part of the problem.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you solve this, but I am out of ideas. Maybe someone else will chime in some other thoughts.

No sure what the pressure is but yes it has a booster pump fitted and it comes out at a reasonable speed compared to some I've seen.

The Di was in a sealed bag and I had to fill the canister myself. I checked on line and the ro membrane should givery a 97% rejection rate.

It's summer here and most days for about 2 months it's been 20 plus c.

I've been running the unit again tonight and it dropped to 2ppm.

Just an update if anyone is interested.

I have spoken with the manufacturer and they are sending me out new di resin and ro membrane as they agreed my rejection rate is low.

Can you measure the product to waste ratio? Do you know you have the right flow restrictor and it's installed correctly? Do you have any "complications" in your drain or product lines? (ie are they really long, kinked, connected to something that may introduce a restriction, etc.)?

There is a metre or so of extra flow in line that I have wound up. And a metre or so of extra line wound up on the waste line. I've put the small ball valve just before the t connection for the tds probe of the water going in line.

Back