New SPS keeper in need of help

Having kept SPS since 1990 I have seen many a brown SPS. Corals will burn brown due to an increase in the
zooxanthellae which is the brown color you are seeing. This is generally due to adjusting to the lighting in the aquarium. It can take a while for a coral to adjust to life in"your" reef tank.
Just keep good husbandry and keep the alk constant and over time they will settle in and start to adjust the amount of zooxanthellae level in the corals skin to its natural balance.
Many people will use a Method like Zeovit or Aqua Forest to help corals reach their most colorful state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many have said already, stability is really the key.
How many fish do you have in your system? With 0 n and 0 p- or close to that- the best thing you could do for the corals is add a couple fish and bring nutrients up naturally.
I wouldn't worry about the colour of the frags right out of the bag..
I've never heard the 2-3 days darkness after shipping.. never heard this.. and as long as light isn't too bright, I would never do it..
It's all very stressful, the shipping, changing of water and temp, new conditions in the new tank.. once shipping is over, the best road to recovery is no more changes. But they do need nutrients, so getting some in the water is the one change I think would be acceptable..
Good luck! Keep us posted.

10 fish total in a 75g display with a total water volume including the sump of 103g. ranging from a yellow tang to yellowtail damsels in size and an assortment of blue legged hermit crabs and snails also(not sure how many). I stopped using my algae tank scrubber today after seeing everyones recommendations but kept my protein skimmer, so i will keep an eye on nutrient levels. I will definitely keep you posted thank you for the help!

Having kept SPS since 1990 I have seen many a brown SPS. Corals will burn brown due to an increase in the
zooxanthellae which is the brown color you are seeing. This is generally due to adjusting to the lighting in the aquarium. It can take a while for a coral to adjust to life in"your" reef tank.
Just keep good husbandry and keep the alk constant and over time they will settle in and start to adjust the amount of zooxanthellae level in the corals skin to its natural balance.
Many people will use a Method like Zeovit or Aqua Forest to help corals reach their most colorful state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im just glad to hear that brown seems to be fairly normal when shipped and everything. I will make sure my parameters stay as stable as concrete and continue to update how they are doing. Im loving these frags and im getting continuously more and more obsessed with this hobby as i get into frags that challenge me to rethink everything i have learned! thanks for the help!

Back