New tank finally set up

cabin

Premium Member
I spent the weekend transferring the 75 gallon to the 180 gallon. What a huge project! And still not done taking the 75 gallon down, as I want to keep the sand alive in case anyone wants some. This is aragonite sand. Also have excess live rock, quite a bit, to sell. Excess corals, too. Who would have thought 75 gallons worth of stuff wouldn't fit in a 180 gallon tank? Simple, really--I wanted a more open feel to this tank, not a wall of rock. Also, I bought all new sand, and some new rock, so I wouldn't have to disturb the old tank until the new one was ready to go. The result was a transition that was easy on the inhabitants, though not on me, or my pocketbook.

Regardless, here is a picture of the new digs:

57927tank1_7_07Sm-med.jpg

One of the interesting parts of this project was the constructed cave. You can see it on the right side. Below is a closeup of the front of the cave, in which you can see a little of the black plastic. In time, that should be hard to spot when the coraline algae coats it. This was done with a magazine file, which we drilled and tied live rock to, then placed on the sand and covered with more live rock.

57927caveSm.jpg

Wynne

Sweet tank, Wynne! I do like the open feel- very relaxing to look at, not nearly so busy. That's a great idea with the cave as well.

What corals do you have that you want to sell or trade away?

:D
Laurie

back side of cave

back side of cave

If you go around to end far end view of the tank, the plastic of the cave is very apparent. Not attractive, I admit, but so interesting to look at that I've left it alone for the moment. The cleaner shrimp have set up shop in there. Here is a picture:
57927cavebackCrSm.jpg

The pump on the right is a tunze. I originally bought it for the 75 gallon tank and when I tried to use it, the blast was way too strong. In a six foot tank, it is just right.
Wynne

Wynne, The new tank looks great! I'm about to get my 265 up and running. Is the mushroom on the lower right really that blue? If so, remember me when you want to sell some. I have a really impressive mushroom/ricordea colony that takes up at least a third of my 120. It contains many colors of mushrooms, red, purple, orange, green striped with lighter green from Greg Hiller, red striped with light green (hybrid I think) but no bright blues. I think additional colors would look great. See you soon. sue

Sue,
Yes, it is that blue. I have about five more on a single rock left over. I'll bring it down to the next meet if I manage to get there.
Wynne

Back