New to Copper.

Grimreaperz

Hey everyone, not that new to the hobby but am wanting to fo my first copper QT instead of TTM. I have purchased CopperSafe. And the fish in question I believe is a melanarus wrasse. (Pet store didnt know but it looks just like the female I used to have before a tank crash 3 years back.) Pic below please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also pic of the QT setup. I have not dosed Copper yet as I wanted advice on how to go about it, do I just dose the amount all at once while the fish is in the tank, do I gradually bring up copper levels by dosing water change water, or do I take fish out dose tank and acclimate?

Thanks in advance!
ec0fbcb9d640ea513725d99a6825b431.jpg
1cc6931d04ad6c8dc1c6fc5d981fd70b.jpg
ce8babcece137bad8bda2510c5240e77.jpg
d365271e316228b0df5474055ddb9472.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I'm also new, but I've been quarantining with copper, so take this all with a grain of salt -

I believe copper products come in two basic types, ionic and chelated. I think the CopperSafe that you purchased is chelated copper, with a maximum safe dosage of ~2.5ppm.

The consensus is that copperSafe can be unpredictable, so following the bottle's recommendations is not advised. It's easy to overdose or under-dose, fatal or ineffective.

I would recommend picking up a Hanna HR copper checker so you can accurately monitor the copper levels in the water, and slowly increase them by maybe 0.5ppm per day to your desired concentration.

I've been trying to follow this advice https://www.*********.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/
raising the copper to 2.0ppm of a chelated copper over a period of days.

This chart should also be helpful for determining the safe methods for your particular fish https://www.*********.com/ams/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.191/

Copper is a med/treatment I swore off off in the 70's. 100% kill rate on treated fish.

Copper is a med/treatment I swore off off in the 70's. 100% kill rate on treated fish.

^^^What Sk8r said^^^

Except it was the mid 80's for me. There are other way less stressful ways to treat most illnesses/parasites. TTM all the way for me.

^^^What Sk8r said^^^

Except it was the mid 80's for me. There are other way less stressful ways to treat most illnesses/parasites. TTM all the way for me.
TTM doesnt kill velvet... this is why I'm doing this. I've done TTM in the past its WAY to much work and if you go over the 72hr swap period then you need to start all over. And still the same risk of killing fish if not done correctly. I'm sure the copper treatments have come a long way since 40-50 years ago.... things do change.

Here is a link to fishes that don't tolerate copper.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2635979
The wrasses will tolerate it but be extremely careful about a) initial dosage and b) accidental dose increase via evaporation of water in the treatment tank. Be sure to keep meticulouosly topped off. Too much fresh water can dlilute and weaken the dose; too little can concentrate it and elevate the dose.

Here is a link to fishes that don't tolerate copper.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2635979
The wrasses will tolerate it but be extremely careful about a) initial dosage and b) accidental dose increase via evaporation of water in the treatment tank. Be sure to keep meticulouosly topped off. Too much fresh water can dlilute and weaken the dose; too little can concentrate it and elevate the dose.
Thank you for the info!! Yeah I'm going A LOT of research before I even start, also letting the fish settle. I'm using an acrylic lid to help with evap but yeah that thought crossed my mind as well. The reason I'm doing this is the LFS I got this fish from is notorious for having sick fish. Hes a volume guy. But I really wanted this fish and the price was to good to pass up. I usually dont buy fish from here but given the pandemic and living in canada I'll take what I can get ATM.

A guy in my local community is going to lend me his Hanna checker as well so super happy about that!

Now I just need to get a 100% accurate ID on this fish.... was labeled as an "Orange Spot" I believe it to be a female/juvenile H. Melanarus/ Hoevan's but there are a few that look very similar so trying to pin point it.

Back