New to Marine

yeah you are gonna need a TON of it. you should get a hanna checker for ammonia or another good test if you are on a budget

They don't appear distressed to me.... Probably hungry as they haven't been fed since the move.

Ammonia is currently 8 PPM

That reading is a test error. No fish can survive 8ppm ammonia, in fact no fish can survive the 4ppm you originally tested.

Also Prime does not remove ammonia, it binds and neutralizes it, so the reading remains the same, but it still has to be a false high reading.

API test kits are notoriously innacurate. I would try to aquire a new ammonia test kit (preferably Salifert) or if the fish continue to be fine, do nothing at all...

That reading is a test error. No fish can survive 8ppm ammonia, in fact no fish can survive the 4ppm you originally tested.

Also Prime does not remove ammonia, it binds and neutralizes it, so the reading remains the same, but it still has to be a false high reading.

API test kits are notoriously innacurate. I would try to aquire a new ammonia test kit (preferably Salifert) or if the fish continue to be fine, do nothing at all...

This ^^

Get tests for: salinity (Amazon has them: drip water onto plate and it gives reading) ; temperature 78-80. Get Salifert tests: (Amazon if your store doesn't have them) ---Magnesium should be 1350; calcium 420, alkalinity 8.3. Overkill for a fish-only, but they'll be good and safe in it. Those are basics. You won't have killed your rock: bacteria live clear to the heart of it, but processing power of rock and sand will be very, very low for a while...do NOT overfeed! Feeding frozen cubes of Mysis Shrimp is about the least waste. Get in touch with Live Aquaria online: get some snails and micro-reef hermits. Work on water stability: test every few days until numbers stop bouncing. WHen mixing salt water : 1/2 cup salt mix usually mixes to a 1.024 reading of salinity, which is perfect. Use ro.di water or ro water from the grocery. Cheaper and saner to get your own ro/di filter: our sponsors have them. Just hook to cold water line either temporary or permanent. Produces about 1 gallon ro.di water to 4 gallons wastewater---put the waste in your dishwasher. Remember: tests run immediately after adding correction won't read right: wait 8 hours for full dissolve and mixing.

How about your phosphate? The normal PO4 level in tank is 0.07 ppm. Keep eye on it.
But I new for reef if you want to know about phosphate , you can go the article of lower phosphate in reef.
Would you share your tank shoot?

Thanks everyone, I will give an update.

Fish are happy! Water readings are good (Got new tests) RODI system is hooked up cleanup crew (snails and hermits) are on their way.

Great news ?Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately I live in podunk Iowa and there are zero LFS within a 100 mile radius.
This sounds like a good business opportunity. šŸ¤‘

Unless, you mean by 'podunk', there is more cows than people in your area.

As a backseat quarterback who throws sideways, I would have given the fish to a LFS and taken it as house credit than try to save them. Of course, this would work if you had a LFS around town.

Or maybe a sushi place? Just saying. šŸ£

Back