New Yellow Tang has Problems (pics included)

Fishboy1230

Hey. So my new tang is swimming alright, but has a darkish spot identical on both sides and a white line through it on both sides. What worries me is that it showed up about a half hour after letting him into the tank post-acclimation. And ideas what it is? Cures? Nothing to worry about?

The tank has been cycled and up for about 4 to 5 months. And other fish have been fine in it recently. No other fish were in there to cause this. BTW I have the light off to reduce stress, I only put it on for the pics.

He/She was a 20$ black Friday special at the local store. Looked pretty healthy there. No ick/ich and was swimming fine and happy.

Attachments

• 1127092322.jpg
    1127092322.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1127092322a.jpg
    1127092322a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
I do too. Its odd aint it? Im no expert but I've had my share of fish both salt and fresh. NEVER seen this. Almost a bruise shade. Wonder if its something wrong with its lateral line since the white line is right along it.

nothing to worry about , it's just a stress responce. should be back to normal by tomorrow. if you look at yellow tangs at night they often look like that when they sleep.

I need to learn to type faster....+1 with above :)

Thanks guys! PPHEW. haha. Good news. I was worried, thinking like internal bleeding or somethin hahaha.
What staple foods for him/her do you recommend most?
Is there a way to find easily if its a him or her?

Thanks guys! PPHEW. haha. Good news. I was worried, thinking like internal bleeding or somethin hahaha.
What staple foods for him/her do you recommend most?
Is there a way to find easily if its a him or her?
Nope, yellow tangs are not sexually dimorphic. You just call it a him if you want a boy or a her if you want a girl ;)

You could send in a tissue sample to a lab and test if you really care.

As far as staple foods, some sort of green food like nori (the stuff on the outside of sushi rolls) can be bought in an asian market type store, usually pretty cheap and can feed for a long time.

It will also like little meaty bits like mysis, and some type of quality pellet like New Life Spectrum would be great to get it eating.

Thank you. Yeah I have some sea weed nori sheets. It was like 2 bucks haha rather than the petsmart stuff for 25. haha

They are usually pigs that will eat anything. Mine will eat flake, nori (green or red), pellet, any kind of frozen I give it. He really loves the nori though, will eat it like crazy.

They love algae sheets. Also, my yellow tang looks like that every night so nothing to worry about.

Back