Newb with Skimmer Question

Cubed Reefer

Hey there as title reads I have a skimmer question for my dive into this hobby, have my tank and now piecing together the rest of my setup. I have heard good things of reef octopus and I was looking at the NWB 110 model, some people I have talked to say this skimmer would be fine then I hear I should get something else or the brand is blah. Trying to figure this out , any help would be great! Thank you in advance.

CR

What size system are you planning? The NWB series is a good middle of the road skimmer, but a lot of it has to do with your specific system size.

What size system are you planning? The NWB series is a good middle of the road skimmer, but a lot of it has to do with your specific system size.

Silly me I didnt say anything about tank size :hmm1:. I will be running a 60 Cube with prob 20g underneath, I am currently on the fence for a NWB 110 or splurge some and get the SRO 1000. The SRO sure is pretty!

CR

Have you looked at the Reef Dynamics line? Fantastic skimmer for the money. The INS-80 would be perfect for your setup.

http://www.reefdynamics.com/INS80-Protein-Skimmer-p/ins80.htm

I can tell you that Reef Dynamics gives real ratings for it's skimmers so when it says 80g, it will handle 80g heavily stocked.

The other to look at is the Avast CS-1. They are pretty easy to put together and do a good job. Down side is that you have to build it.........glue and all.

in sump or out of sump?

In sump, or at least that's the plan!

Have you looked at the Reef Dynamics line? Fantastic skimmer for the money. The INS-80 would be perfect for your setup.

http://www.reefdynamics.com/INS80-Protein-Skimmer-p/ins80.htm

I can tell you that Reef Dynamics gives real ratings for it's skimmers so when it says 80g, it will handle 80g heavily stocked.

The other to look at is the Avast CS-1. They are pretty easy to put together and do a good job. Down side is that you have to build it.........glue and all.

Ill check out Reef Dynamics and that Avast kit looks killer! Wonder how hard it really is to put it together.

CR

SWC BMK150 can be had for under $200 new.....thats what I just got for my 60cube with 40 breeder sump.. I own a SWC200 for 5 years. Good build, good performance with SWC. Small footprint also.

SWC BMK150 can be had for under $200 new.....thats what I just got for my 60cube with 40 breeder sump.. I own a SWC200 for 5 years. Good build, good performance with SWC. Small footprint also.

Wow I am really liking that skimmer. Great price also!

CR

if you want the sro...go for it. You won't be disappointed. I have an sro5000sss now, and have a couple of smaller ones over the years. they work well and very reliable.

if you want the sro...go for it. You won't be disappointed. I have an sro5000sss now, and have a couple of smaller ones over the years. they work well and very reliable.

Ya I think it will come down to the SWC or the Octopus. Just gonna keep doing some reading on some or pray one maybe comes up in the classifieds!

I have the Reef Octopus 110 in a similar setup. Works great!

How much bio are you pushing in this similar setup? How many fish, etc. Be great for some more info, thank you in advance.

CR

Back