Nightmare!

Lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
Premium Member
I awoke this morning to a leaking tank. I had noticed some salt creep along the right front eurobrace last week and attributed it to too much circulation from the closed loop. This morning, there is a small but steady drip from the seam between the left side and the back panel.

Please wake me up and tell me this is a bad dream...

LL

Thanks for all the thoughts and offers to help.

As most of you know, I bought it through my LFS, as required by A.G.E. It should still be under warranty. The LFS owner texted the new manager of A.G.E. yesterday to ask about the leak around the front eurobrace. Upon my discovery of the leaking seam this morning, she called him at home.

We are awaiting instructions, but I am going to draw down about half the water in the tank, in order to minimize the chances of a "blow out". I have turned off the closed loop to reduce turbulence in the tank. I'm going to need some storage to put live rock from the display tank. I hope to transfer my prize fish either to LFS or another temporary tank. I am pretty sure the tank will need to be torn down and repaired onsite, but who knows? These hybrid tanks can be tricky, I think.

LL

I have my fingers crossed for you. Luckily, the club members always seem to have a ton of big storage containers when things like this happen.

I have the other tank that is splitting it seams this morning. I just sent an email to them about my tank, I am really sick to my stomach at this point, as I am sure you are too.

I am assuming that you also have the acrylic 1 piece euro-brace?

Macro -

Yes I have the acrylic eurobrace, PVC bottom, and glass walls. Once I turned off the closed loop, the leaking at the rear seam stopped (thank goodness) so that leak also appears related to the eurobrace. Once water from the closed loop stopped slopping up under the eurobrace, the weeping down the back corner ceased. :hmm4:

My LFS owner just visited and she saw the salt creep between the eurobrace and the starphire front. When I push down on the eurobrace, water "oozes" out between it and the front glass. The sealant is defintiely compromised. :headwally:

I have confidence in A.G.E. and it is my understanding that my tank is still under warranty (5 years if mounted on their steel stand). Fingers crossed for an update tomorrow. :worried2:

LL

P.S. _ I have not received your e-mail yet. lightsluvr at cox.net

If it becomes necessary for a breakdown give me a shout I can come help out.

George,
I have 2 100g rubbermaid tubs if you need to borrow them. LMK.

Respectfully,

George, if you need to store anything I have plenty of room.

Greg, Tonya and Doug - thanks very much for the very kind offers. I will let you know what needs to be done when I get a plan formulated.

As long as I keep the closed loop off, I am not losing water. However, it is clear that something must be done about the eurobrace. I anxiously await feedback from A.G.E. tomorrow.

LL

My critters and rock are still in a stock tank in my living room! I hope you can get your resolution quickly. Good luck, George, it's a stress we can all do without.

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone reading that your fish emergency equipment should include a back up plan for leaks as well as power outages. We put a lot of money into this hobby for our display tank, but not enough thought and very little money into a back up plan.
*generator
*stock tank
Just add them to your equipment list. Please.

George,

I have a couple shallow (show) tanks sat empty. They will be fine to hold corals and smaller fish. They both have light racks and im sure we could find a way to get lights above them.

One is 24x48 and one is 24 by 72. both are 10 inches deep I think.

P.

Sorry to hear the news, George. Knowing you, you probably have it covered, but I also have a 42 gal Brute on casters if you need it for anything.

My critters and rock are still in a stock tank in my living room! I hope you can get your resolution quickly. Good luck, George, it's a stress we can all do without.

Stephanie,

I did not read your thread about your tank issue. The side panel seam started leaking again last night and is slowly getting worse. It looks like I am going to be drawing down the water later today. I may start as soon as I get off work in a few hours. I will put coral in one stock tank and some live rock and fish in the other... Still planning how to get this done... I will need more Rubbermaid tanks

How do you keep your fish happy? I assume at a minimum, you use powerheads and a heater in the stock tank.

Thanks again everyone for the offers of help.

George

I have heard from my LFS - yes it's Leigh Anne at Aquariums. She has been in touch with the good folks at A.G.E. and they have a plan to fix the issue. Thank goodness the tank is made of top grade material and supported by a responsible dealer and manufacturer.

I drew down less than an inch of water from the DT to stop the leaking near the eurobrace. When A.G.E. gets here with the repair team, I will take about 50% of the water out while the repairs are done. More on the details later.

LL (George)

Back