NLS Marine formula

Armeygal

I was wondering.. I dont have any fish yet cus Im not sure what to put in my nano cube but with my cichlids they make a food called New Life Spectrum. Its is a very good food and they make a marine formula.. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the marine formula and had good results. the food comes in various sized pellets. Also What are other good quality things besides nori to feed salt water fish. I had a algea blenny for a while but i think he died from starvation, after reading the forums I dont think the tank was established enough to have a good pod build in it. now I see the little critters crawling on the glass and across the rocks, their creepy looking, ..LOL:lol:

I just recently made my first batch of homemade food. I took a bunch of scallops, cocktail shrimp, a chunk of fish, some garlic and cyclopeeze - and I think there may have been a couple other things I threw in there, don't remember - put it in a blender with a little RO/DI water and made a thin paste out of it. Put a small amount in individual sandwich baggies and flattened out, placed in the freezer. Now I just break off a chunk and thaw in tank water and dump in. The fish and the corals seem to love it. And I'm not getting the phosphates I was obviously getting with my previous premade food. As soon as I stopped using the formula one flakes and a couple other types of food I had, the turf algae I had started to develop has started fading and disappearing.

Dave's approach is definitely the best for the aquarium. :thumbsup:

However, if you're a lazy reefer like me, you might want to try another approach. :D

I purchase a bunch of various flakes and mix them all into one big flake batch. This gives the fish a great variety. You can get a bunch of people together to help defray the cost. Each person contributes one can of whatever and takes home a mixed up batch of flakes. I use Ocean Nutrition, Omega One, Ocean Fresh, and OSI - pretty much whatever I can get my hands on. I've also included flakes from brine shrimp direct. I try to make sure there is a good mix of "meat," garlic, and veggies such as spirulina and kelp.

All of the fish seem to love this blend and they're all fat & happy. I don't do nori sheets. I've tried, but the fish weren't interested. I am keeping 2 tangs and a group of dwarf angels, including a multi-color and a potters. The clowns love it too, but I'm convinced they'll eat anything that the magic feeding hand from above drops into the tank. :lol:

I make the same fish, shrimp, scallop, cylopeeze mixture. I mix it up a bit from time to time by adding nori, zucchini, peas, etc to the mixture... maybe its time to add a little white wine lemon mixture to it. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9307375#post9307375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spooda420
... maybe its time to add a little white wine lemon mixture to it. :)

That is just wrong!! :lol:

And before you ask, yes, I do intend to follow you around with my finger hovering over the quote button all day. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9307441#post9307441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by McBeck
That is just wrong!! :lol:

Nah, My fish like the vodka from time to time, whats a little white wine as well?

Back in the late 80s I used to make a similar mixture of food when I had a fish only tank. The tank was primarliy angels, Pacer, Koran, Queen, Rock Beauty, Imperor, and few misc other fish.

One difference was that I used frozen spinach (no salt added). It normally took a bit for the fish to adjust to the new food but after a short time they would eat it just as well as anything else. One thing I noticed while feeding the homeblend was the colors became far more vibrant and wounds heeled much more quickly.

It is good to see that everyone is not so dependant on premade foods. Sounds like a good Sunday project.

Back