No answer from Oceanic - Is glass tempered? Drilling guidelines?

aroundtuit

Premium Member
I have 3 Oceanic tanks that I'd like to drill, 55G, 110G, and 125G. All have been purchased in the last 2-5 years. From Oceanic's web site, I have sent emails on 2 different occasions, the first in October and the second a couple weeks ago. They never answer. Does anyone have a phone number for them?

Or perhaps someone can answer my questions. Only the 125 has a tag on the bottom that says its tempered glass. However, I'm sure the bottom of the 110 is too. I want to drill some holes in the back of the all three tanks and possibly in the bottom of the 55. I want to be sure is the sides I intend to drill are not tempered.

Also, I wanted to know what their recommendations/guidelines are for drilling methods and locations (how close to the edge).

Here's what I got from them a few weeks ago:

FYI, once you alter our aquarium in anyway, your warranty is void.
However, the back pane of glass is not tempered. We only temper the
bottom.
Hope this helps you out.
Thank you,

Carol Sikes

Oceanic Systems, Inc.

1-800-554-6229 ext 729

fax: 214-320-3110

You can assume, in general, that any tank 55 gallons and over have a tempered bottom. I got this from my LFS after some research on my 40. The LFS got it from the manufacturer.

Wouldn't you know as soon as I posted, they answered my email. Here's what Carol from Oceanic said.

"Since we donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t want our tanks altered in way, because it will void your warranty, I cannot give you recommendations on the distance to drill holes. You need to talk to a professional in that file, who can answer it for you. I can tell you that all Oceanic tanks have the bottom pane tempered. Unless, you specifically had the tank custom made and requested tempered glass, the front, back and side panes are all normal glass."

Back