No more orders from me

Carlos

Premium Member
I placed an order some time ago (over a year) for three melanurus wrasse. I got the order and one fish was DOA and the other two died within a day or so. I called MDL and they gave me a credit. I was happy and went about my business.

Later I tried to order more fish from them only to find out that they had only given me credit for the fish and not the shipping. Ok, I figure, they will not charge me for shipping on my next order... WRONG!!!

They wanted me to pay for shipping AGAIN. I told them that I did not think paying for shipping was good business practices since the it was not mine nor FedEx fault. The package arrived as schedule but they sent fish that had not been properly acclimated or quaranteened... maybe they were sick fish. Anyway, they would not give me my money back nor give me credit for the shipping. I asked them "If I place another order, use the credit plus more of my money, and the fish die again, what then??" Would you give me credit??? Their response was that they would give me credit just for the fish.

I think that is just wrong!!!

Today I called to place an order for snails... figured, they cannot kill snails. I called only to find out that since the credit is older than a year, it is now void. So now I am out of all the money I spent with them. They sent me fish which I did not get, they probably filed claim with FedEx and got their money back. So in total, they kept ALL my money!!!!

Just down-right bad customer service.

This actually happened to me. I did not hear it from someone else. Wonder how many other people have had this happen to them???

Carlos

P.S. I treid then to use the credit for dry goods (which I need on a regular basis) and they would not allow that. They told me that the credit only applies to live stock, even if Marine Depot and Marine Depot Live are the same company. What is that all about? Should I pay for their inability to keep their books straight????

I was fixin' to place an order on their website in the next couple days, but I've read more and more posts about this place that may make me go somewhere else. I've had service almost as good as yours from thatpetplace.com as well. maybe this hobby would hit bigger if companies would start thinking bout there customers. don't they realize that good customer service in the first place will cause people to shop their again? And for the cost of livestock, a repeat customer will make them lots more money in the long run.

Carlos, sorry to hear about this! if they don't have a statement or an invoice thats states the credit is void after a year then they should honor it. I'll keep this in mind if I ever decide to order from them,

I hate it when things like this happen. I've had it happen a few times. Nothing makes more upset than paying full price for a box with bags of dead fish. :|

-Josh-:cool:

MD can not refund your money for shipping, because they dont have your $, fedex does. That is a common practice for all of ecommerce in general. I order a lot of stuff online, besides fish stuff. Sometimes when the vendor sends me the wrong order I am still liable for shipping charges to have the item exchanged. That is just the way business over the net works.

The part about your credit expiring is a raw deal.

Just because it is "common practice" does not mean it is right. I have done business with other online entities (within the industry) and when they make the mistake or it is 100% their fault, they either do give me credit or the do not charge me shipping on the replacement items.

I also order from other companies outside the industry and it is NOT common practice to be liable for shipping when the company made the mistake. They wont refund me the charges BUT they wont charge me shipping on the replacement items or the shipping on the items that I have to send back.

In all, I am not that angry about the shipping charges. I understand, I may not like it but I understand. What I am ticked about is the credit expiring WITHOUT any type of written notice. Also that I cannot use the credit for dry goods. That is a "raw deal" IMHO.

Carlos

You said it carlos, if the company messes up, they should take the loss, not you. After all, you did order live fish, did you get what you ordered? Nope!, doesn't matter who paid who to do whatever, bottom line, you did not get what you ordered. Their fault. period.

The reason they can offer credit on livestock is cause the cost of the animals is marginal. They pay a set fee and get a boxfull of fish. Drygoods cost $ and they only make a few dollars on the sale. If they have to replace a few fish they just make less profit than they originally expected.

They would not have that problem if they sent out healthy fish. Wny should I have to pay for something that I did not get????

When you order a heater, if you do not get it, you don't pay for it. If a business tells you, you have to pay for it and pay shipping, REGARDLESS if you got it or not, you would raise hell!!!!

It does not matter what I ordered. If I dont get what I ordered because of neglency from the seller, I SHOULD NOT have to pay for the items. THAT is the way business works.

I hate when people say it is ok because it is the way the industry works. It is NOT ok! We, as educated consumers, should make sure that companies provide good customer service. The internet has give us the power to select from a wide variety of sellers, and it has also given us the power to communicate to others when a company has "questionable" business practices. The internet has made it a buyer's market, not a seller's market.

JMHO,

Carlos

go to liveaquaria... ask them about their policies... i think they reship at no charge.. but if the animal goes doa a second time you only get a credit and that it..

but hey they seem to have the best doa policy in the busniness.

Looks like I will never buy anything from MD Live. Live Aquaria has treated me well. MD, shame on you.

After reading this, I think selling fish must be one big pain in the Butt! while I think Carlos has a reasonable gripe about the 1 year expiration of his refund money,and that it just seems wrong on MD's part to sieze it. I think MD is right about the shipping fee's. The way I see it is that MD or any store cannot know what really happened to the Fish or the Condition of the Tank they are being placed in.

In order to avoid people just experimenting and buying Fish that will never survive in there Tank, I think some of the Risk should be a shared venture. Now Carlos I am not saying that this applies to you at all, but as a business practice you wan't to make sure that people don't abuse the system and keep buying and dying the fish.

you wouldent get this kinda bs over at drfostersmith

( somdays i lvoe MD otherdays i hate em)

btw.. cant belive they are pulling this BS on a rcstaff...

that would be like... kicking a celeberity out of a store.... they could ruin you

Back