No one can figure this out so far........

Randy is right. I tried to save some money and it cost money in the long run. The carbon I was using must have had some kind of chemical in it and wiped out all the softies.

I just now teated the water and the pH is 8.3, trites, trates and phosphates are all 0. ca is 430 and all new arrivals are doing great. By new arrivals I mean 2 snails and a small yellow polyp rock. The star polyp rock is doing good also. More are starting to come out.

I really appreciate all of the information everyone has offered and this site really is the best!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6503909#post6503909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
Please PM me the brand of carbon that you was using.

It was not an aquarium brand, so no need to worry about it. :)

Actually, I believe I've had similar problems with ChemZorb. No way to conclusively say for certain, but we changed everything else, and the problems didn't stop until we changed brands of carbon.

Still doing great!

Still doing great!

Both snails are still alive. I now have 2 sand stars and 2 cleaner shrimp which are all doing great. I think everything is ok now!

Randy,

Being that we feel that the culprit was the carbon, wouldn't it be safer to just stick to something like Purigen?

No. This was not a case of a hobby carbon causing a problem. He used something from a different industry. I can't be sure it was the carbon anyway, and carbon does have significant benefits to reef aquaria that I'm not sure Purigen can reproduce at a similar cost or scale.

Back