Noisy overflow

belgian_waffleman

So I got the water in the tank and sump but not at full strength salinity yet.

About every 15 to 20 seconds the standpipe draws a bunch of bubbles to the sump. It almost sounds like someone is flushing the toilet.

I'm using a mag 7 return pump it seems that fully open ball valve in the return line, slows down the frequency of the burping in the sump

The drain line is a 4' flexible hose to the sump., Any Idea what I should adjust?

Waffleman

Is your drain line below the water line in the sump? Mine used to do that when I had a sump below the tank so I cut the drain lines so that they were above the water line and the flushing noise stopped but then I did hear the noise of the water hitting the sump. Since I plumbed everything to the basement and have drain lines below water level the flushing has returned but it doesn't bother me down there...

yes my drain was below the water line, once I lifted it above the water, the noise is greatly reduced.

Thanks for the help

Waffleman

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12900364#post12900364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by belgian_waffleman
yes my drain was below the water line, once I lifted it above the water, the noise is greatly reduced.

Thanks for the help

Waffleman
Yes that's it. It works like a toilet when the drain is not in a continuous downward slope or under the water

This morning the noise was back, I have even turned the pump down but it doesn't seem to help.

So right now the return is above the water line.
I went to SWP to get some advice. I was told that the expert will be in at 5PM. ;)

What other adjustments can be done to silence the overflow?

Waffleman

That's good to know and nice to hear. I'll be stopping up there myself at around 5pm.

So did you lift above the water line and then put it back in afterwards before and now you've again raised it above the water line?

If so, as long as it's below the water line you are likely to keep dealing with it. I had to permanently cut my drain lines so they drained out right above the water line in my old sump.

Dreaminmel,

right after your post, I raised the drain to above the water line in the sump and everthing seemed OK. I add salt to the tank, go to bed and when I woke up the gurgling sound is back.
The drain is still above the water surface.

Does the specific gravity of the water have anything to do with this?

Waffleman

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12904665#post12904665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by belgian_waffleman
Does the specific gravity of the water have anything to do with this?
IME yes.
So can cooking a greasy Italian sausage in the house! (Seriously).
Like mel posted- always keep the drain discharge in the sump above waterline. Bring SG up to NSW values. You need to allow two weeks for biofilm to develop on drain plumbing- this will help (but not eliminate) a lot of noise.

Thanks Gary for the info.

I have put in some extra supports for the flexible return line so that it doesn't sag anywhere anymore. Now at least the burping seems to have stopped again.

Sorry Tom at SWP , for not calling you, had other issues to deal with earlier in the evening.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me and my newbie issues.

Waffleman

Hi, stopping the sag is the right thing to do. If you have a durso standpipe make sure the airhole is above the water line. It's easy to do this with a poiece of airline tubing placed in the hole and extended above the tank water line. Sometimes it's also necessary to make the air hole a bit larger to quiet things down. Bio film will help it quiet down as well as Gary noted.

Back