Noob questions about installing a sump

LVMuruguy

Hi all,

I'm very new to salt water (kept freshwater tanks years ago). I wish I had found this forum earlier as I would have made different purchase decisions!

I have a 55 gallon (non drilled) tank that I've had setup for about a week with life rock and live sand mixed with aragonite. I'm currently waiting for it to cycle. The LFS told me to buy a few hardy fish to get the cycle started (after reading here, I see that was bad advise). I have a .5 ammonia reading today, so I think I'm underway with the cycle.

After doing further research and finding this forum, I decided I should try to setup a sump for all the added benefits. Being a complete newbie at this, I have several questions that I guess fall into two categories. The first is related to the equipment I have in mind to install in the sump. The second category is related to the actual construction. I read the articles related to pumps and sumps on this forum and while I find them extremely informative, I'd have peace of mind getting feedback from someone who knows what they're doing!

On a local reef Facebook page I found a used Eshopps AEO15005 Refugium for a decent price which I purchased.

Equipment Questions
I'm considering ordering the following equipment for this project:

-Bubble Magus BM-Curve 5 Protein Skimmer
-Hygger 24V DC Water Return Pump 800 GPH (adjustable speed)
-Blue Ocean 600 Overflow box (600 GPH)
-Aqual Lift/powerhead pump to keep siphon for the overflow box

Unfortunately I didn't buy a drilled tank so I need to use an overflow box. Any advise or feedback on this setup is much appreciated. I intend to eventually setup a refugium in the sump in the future as well.

Construction questions

-For some reason the previous owner removed the bulkheads from the two inlets on the AEO15005. The hole measures 1 3/4 inches. This does not appear to be a common bulkhead size, though I see 1 1/2" ones for sale. Will that work? The bulkheads have appear to have a lip so I'm wondering if it is enough to cover it completely.

-I would like to use flexible hose. Is 1" the standard size?

-Where is the best place to purchase plumbing items such as hose, 1 way valves, connectors, bulkheads, etc? Hardware store? Or do I need to order these items from an aquarium supply store?

-I haven't seen much information regarding the termination of the return line in the display tank. Should I just drape it over the back of the tank with a U hose? Would I need some sort of cover to prevent creatures from crawling back through it?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'm sure I'll have many other questions as I dig further into this hobby.

The return line gravity-falls into the tank, no particular fitting except just secure it somehow so it doesn't flip out. Your pump goes into the last chamber of the sump, and a line from it goes up to your tank. You need a downflow box. Look that up.

Thanks for the reply!!

By downflow box, do you mean the overflow box to get the water from the display tank down to the sump? That's what I plan to use the Blue Ocean 600 for. I also considered the CPR one that moves 1200 GPH because it has 2 outlets instead of just 1 in case one of them get clogged. But it's quite a bit more expensive and I thought it might be overkill for my 55 gallon tank.

Look at the bulkhead specs. The hole for a 1" bulkhead is actually 1-3/8". I'd say you drilled for 1-1/2" bulkhead.

Let me see if I can tackle this one as I just set up a 55 gallon tank with a CPR over flow box and a eshopps sump myself, all of which was obtained used since I was laid off due to Covid-19 hoopla and on a serious budget!

1. -For some reason the previous owner removed the bulkheads from the two inlets on the AEO15005. The hole measures 1 3/4 inches. This does not appear to be a common bulkhead size, though I see 1 1/2" ones for sale. Will that work? The bulkheads have appear to have a lip so I'm wondering if it is enough to cover it completely.

The top plate was missing on my sump where the water comes in and goes to a filter sock. All I did was route a 1" plastic hose from my Over flow box rated at 350 gph to the filter sock that was cut a few inches longer than needed to make sure ALL the water will go into the filter sock.

2. -I would like to use flexible hose. Is 1" the standard size?

I dont know about all that. My OFB is rated for about half of what yours is. I would go to the Hardware Store and get my soft tubing in what ever size fits best.

-Where is the best place to purchase plumbing items such as hose, 1 way valves, connectors, bulkheads, etc? Hardware store? Or do I need to order these items from an aquarium supply store?

Due to some sizes of fittings being non standard sizes I would ideally get these items from a dedicated fish store. In my case....I went to the hardware store and got what I needed. I had to get a little creative in a couple of spots, but I have played this game before and knew what I needed to do to adapt and over come if required. Luckily for me this time around things were pretty straight forward. There were no surprises! Just make sure you use Teflon Tape, Glue, silicone and hose clamps on all your fittings as appropriate!!!

4. -I haven't seen much information regarding the termination of the return line in the display tank. Should I just drape it over the back of the tank with a U hose? Would I need some sort of cover to prevent creatures from crawling back through it?

Funny you mention this...I just used PVC pipe, a few elbows, a T fitting a section of soft tubing and a hose clamp and zip tie from the return pump to the top of my tank. It hangs over the lip of the tank securely and is about a inch below the surface.
I didnt use any screens on the two returns flowing water back to the tank. I never did in the past and I havent had an issue yet in 18 years. Probably wouldnt be a bad idea tho, YMMV...

Hope this helped answer some of your questions...

Back