Just wondering about "normal blooms".
8.3 ph
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5-10 nitrate
440 cal
Kh is really high at 15
Phosphates- can't tell between 0 and 0.25

I keep getting diatom blooms. And now spots of green algae. Few spots of cyano. Cyano was gone then recently came back. I added another power head for that incase it was my flow. Have about 1500 gph total in my 30g tank now. Recently put Rowaphos in a bag that came with product and put it in my hob filter also have carbon in there as well. Wondering if should wait for another week to see if this goes away or not. I think I am going to look into a ro/do filter instead of buying it. Diatoms recently started showing up again. Does high kh or low/mag levels affect algae growth? I need to get a mag test kit. Think I'm going to get Hannah checkers. Does anyone use these ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 2
Lots of people have Hannah checkers and swear by them. Only time I've read then to be inaccurate is once the regent starts running low. I only have a Hannah for phosphates. I use Salifert test kits for the rest.

Nitrates and Phosphates are responsible for algae growth. It's normal for a new tank to develop algae until it builds up the denitrifying bacteria to burn it out. Small water changes and patience are your friends.

+1

Patience is definitely the key to a successful tank. Do you have corals yet? If not, I wouldn't worry about anything other than nitrates and phosphates. Only reason I ask is because you said you are very new to this. In my case, I waited till my tank was up about 6 months before dipping my toe in the world of coral.

Be sure to keep plenty of snails. Let them help control the algae and just give it time.

Back