North Florida Snorkeling

Gamepro_inc

Hi guys some friends and I are looking to go on a Snorkeling trip. We live in North Florida (Gainesville) and dont mind traveling a few hours if needed. So I was thinking St. Augustine or Cedar Key anyone know any good places around there or maybe some other place. Someone told me there is an island off St. Augustine that is good but they dont remember exactly where. I have 2 kayaks so I could travel out a ways if needed. Hoping to see corals and fish thinking around April time line. Names of islands or location specifics would be good. Thanks.

I'm going to school in Daytona Beach and there isn't much up here at all. I would just make the trip down to south Florida. Palm Beach area has some nice spots.

Does tampa have corals too I am open to this suggestion, any further south just isnt an option for a day trip might do another on a weekend though down the road. So where at in tampa any specifics?

Heck you can see a few corals in an around Panama City so I would guess there would be even more in Tampa.

Heck you can see a few corals in an around Panama City so I would guess there would be even more in Tampa.

Where at around Panama City I have never seen any around there. We go down there about every summer. Thanks

the blue heron bridge is an amazing place to snorkel or dive might be a bit of a drive though also you can only dive/ snorkel it on low tide

Where at around Panama City I have never seen any around there. We go down there about every summer. Thanks

If you go down to St. Andrews and free dive the back side of the Jetty and can go deep enough you see a few corals. If you go out on the "front" beach of St. Andrews and free dive it you can see a few more. Take note of the tide schedule, you want to go an hour or so before peak high tide.

There is a bright blue/purple thing that may be a sponge, not sure. There is a brown almost SPS coral looking thing (probably not) and a few different types of sea whips. There are also anemones on either side of the jetties.

There isn't any coral over there but if you rent a pontoon (200 bucks or so a day) and hang out in the bay (near shell island) you can snorkel in the grass flats. Last year we did this and had a great time. The protection of the boat and all the pods that congregate underneath bring all sorts of fish in. My son accidently dropped his sandwich in the water and it was a feeding frenzy! You will also run into dolphins from time to time over there.

If you drive to Blue Heron, you might as well as the 45 minutes to Lauderdale by the Sea... one of the best places to snorkel from shore in Florida, starting about 100 yards out in 10 feet of water you will find all the reef fishes and hard and soft corals Florida is known for.

Those are great pic, Stevio-O. There is more tropical reef life along parts of the Florida Panhandle than further south along the west coast. Warm Gulf currents come inshore very close, especially in summer. Tampa is not nearly as good for snorkeling or scuba, even though it's further south. One small correction. Those definitely are not juvenile Spotted Drums (Equetus punctatus). They are juvenile High Hats (Pareques acuminatus), which unfortunately become drab as adults, while the much rarer Spotted Drums become spectacular. See my modest photo album for pics of a half grown Spotted Drum I brought back from the Caribbean 15 months ago.

Back