Nova extreme pro T-5's OR Radion Gen2

firewill65

I'm currently running a 72" 8 bulb T-5 Nova Extreme Pro on a 150 sized tank.
I had corals in the past and the lights worked ok with the corals I had. I'm getting ready to start back with corals and was wondering if I should make the move. I'm due for a bulb replacement and don't want to do it yet if I jump on the LED wagon.

I can't afford the Radion Pro's but the Gen2's just went on sale. Would 3 gen2's mounted the long way light up this tank ok? My tank is only 18" wide.

I'm currently running a 72" 8 bulb T-5 Nova Extreme Pro on a 150 sized tank.
I had corals in the past and the lights worked ok with the corals I had. I'm getting ready to start back with corals and was wondering if I should make the move. I'm due for a bulb replacement and don't want to do it yet if I jump on the LED wagon.

I can't afford the Radion Pro's but the Gen2's just went on sale. Would 3 gen2's mounted the long way light up this tank ok? My tank is only 18" wide.

ive seen 3x radions light up a standard 220g just fine. so to answer your question yes it would be fine.... and if you can, sell your T5 fixture to help fund the radions...

Might consider retro fitting some LEDs in the fixture instead of swapping completely.

The Nova fixture isn't the best on the market today and if you look at the ATI fixtures you'll find that they are wonderful. The difference between them is big, by the way: reflectors, cooling system and even computer with dimmers.
The ATI dimmable is what I would suggest to you. I just got one. Love it!
I've got 3 systems with ATI fixtures. Two Powermodules and the new dimmable.

If you can't afford an ATI fixture just keep the Nova. That will do a great job to start with and later you could upgrade to the ATI, if you want.

I had Nova fixture for many years and have no complaints!
The ATI and one of the other newer fixtures would be better, but the Nova is good too...

Many people are coming back to T5s and MHs from LEDs.
LEDs aren't the best option yet. They still have to be improved a lot IMO.

Just go to the stores and take a look to the new stuff.
That way you could take a better decision.

I still didn't find a LED fixture that would be better than my T5s.
One of the main reasons is the way the T5s wrap around with the light.
You just can't go wrong with them!

Grandis.

Thanks. I was at MACNA this weekend and fell in love with the Radion's. I'm going to give them a try as the Gen2's just dropped in price. I will be keeping the T-5's incase I ever want to go back.

i love my radion, just remember to start of at a low % and slowly increase it, this will help prevent issues.

Back