NOY's Sun Corals

They are both beautiful. Especially like the contrast of the first one.

Hope you don't mind but this is mine. Its much more uniform but had green tips which are hard to see. Out pretty much 24/7 wish my suns were.

great shots moort! nice coloration.

interesting you have green tips on yours. Just curious what do you feed them?

unless you have dendros - your sun corals will stay closed for the most part during the day. Mine open up during fish feeding (even though they don't get any).

Hi Noy thanks.

It's only the one i have and i haven't had it that long. It gets a mixture of foods every couple of days. I'm more worried about over feeding it so normally just a few mysis, krill or similar at a time, mostly small sized food, but it really opens up well after Fauna Marin's lps food.

The suns are pretty well trained having been in there a couple of years. They open soon after any food enters the water and stay out for hours after. The dendro on the other hand has been constantly out after i got it back to health.

Took a couple of quick shots last night.
They both open after lights out. I haven't done anything to try to get them to open during day yet - just trying to get them to fully acclimate to water chemistry.

IMG_6169

IMG_6171
Beautiful suns Noy! ,that first one has awesome color. Does the white one stand out at night?
_________
Dave

the white one is quite nice at night. it has these light green tips which fluoresce against the moonlight. i'll try to capture that in a pic. I haven't done a lot to get these to open during the day - will work on that soon.

Fathead Dendros!
been looking forever for these. had to pay a bit of a premium on them couldn't talk my wholeseller/retailer down much.

IMG_6248

IMG_6247

I think this is a Dendrophyllia Fistula (my other dendro is an arbuscula) - if anyone knows for sure it would save me a bit of research.

Now, if I can only get my hands on a Balanophyllia

Purple Dendros or what?
A few of my micrantha are showing a purplish tinge on the tissue. I think this is just a reaction with the coralline algae - which make me think tissue colour is not a reliable way to discern species.

IMG_6251

Wavemakers and Branching Sun Corals
Recently got a WP40 and was able to get real waves going in the tank. I was never able to do that with my combo of Hydor Ev's and Sicce's (using an Apex). Noticed something interesting - the wave motion seems to encourage polyp extension in the branching sun corals (the non-branching ones are still on their routine). Not ready to make any conclusions on this yet and will monitor it.

Here is a shot during the day - normally its lights out/full retraction at this point.

IMG_6249

Last edited:
Hey Noy, Have your new black suns opened yet? The orange ones are very nice also.
I picked up some new ones on Monday, not sure of the names, a bit pricey but a lot of heads. Here are pics of the front and the side. Could you help with the ID?

picture.php

this is the side.

picture.php

I have not got them to stay open during the day yet.

Hey Noy, Have your new black suns opened yet? The orange ones are very nice also.
I picked up some new ones on Monday, not sure of the names, a bit pricey but a lot of heads. Here are pics of the front and the side. Could you help with the ID?

picture.php

this is the side.

picture.php

It will be tough to get them to open during the day for any extend period - they just don't do that. At best mine will react to food (even small amounts) in the water column and open up.

As for species, I went and read over a lot of the scholarly articles on sun coral identification including most importantly the 2001 re-descriptions where a lot of the species were synonymised. I am inclined to suggest this a Tubastraea Coccinea. I used think coccinea had more of a branching structure but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I am very interested to see there are colour morphs within the same rock. I would love to know whether these colours stay the same or whether they morph into the same shade a few months down the line.

My black sun corals are actually not new - I just noticed the purple tinge and posted a photo. They are doing fine.

Where did You buy the yellow one ... Amazing ... If I can know ...

Thank You.

Not sure if you are referring to me or Dave.H. But my yellow one - the branching tubastraea came from a store in Canada called Seaumarine. They have a website but i'm not sure they ship to the USA.

picture.php

this is the side.

picture.php

btw - forgot to say - that is an awesome combo arrangement of colours! Great find!

Seems you have this cool gorgonian looking coral hanging out of it.

btw - forgot to say - that is an awesome combo arrangement of colours! Great find!

Seems you have this cool gorgonian looking coral hanging out of it.

Thanks Noy, I saw them the same time I got my black suns, didn't have enough cash for both of them. My LFS held them for me, they were not fed for a long time, the pink ones on the bottom have not fully opened but are getting close.
I have it leaning up as there are suns on the backside also.
The little gorgonian was a plus, just looked like a stick, there are about 15 polyps on it. pretty cool!

Where did You buy the yellow one ... Amazing ... If I can know ...

Thank You.
Thanks Reef and Rock, The owner of my LFS picked them up while on vacation, somewhere between ohio and florida. I will find out more about where they came from.

It will be tough to get them to open during the day for any extend period - they just don't do that. At best mine will react to food (even small amounts) in the water column and open up.

As for species, I went and read over a lot of the scholarly articles on sun coral identification including most importantly the 2001 re-descriptions where a lot of the species were synonymised. I am inclined to suggest this a Tubastraea Coccinea. I used think coccinea had more of a branching structure but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I am very interested to see there are colour morphs within the same rock. I would love to know whether these colours stay the same or whether they morph into the same shade a few months down the line.

My black sun corals are actually not new - I just noticed the purple tinge and posted a photo. They are doing fine.

Thanks for the ID Noy, Like you say, they do open a little when I feed the fish during the afternoon, but only for a little while, and then a lot after lights out when I feed the rest of the corals.

I will keep an eye out for color morphs, but I hope they stay like they are.

I got my second set of Radions and an Mp40 hooked up and running yesterday.

I need to start a thread like yours to keep track of my suns too.

All of yours are beautiful, so I am following your leads.
Thanks again for all your input.

Back