New Camera (Canon 6D)

Very nice. Could you show me how you take a picture of the Hippo tang and capture its blue color? Most of the time it turn out pink/purplish color.

Very nice. Could you show me how you take a picture of the Hippo tang and capture its blue color? Most of the time it turn out pink/purplish color.

Try to get a white balance setting that approximates your lighting. My canon has a manual setting for white balance and I can crank the setting to 10K. If you have a shade wb setting that's pretty close (7K). You may have to do some post processing in photoshop to get the adjustment you want. It also helps if you turn down the actinic lighting because I think in some cameras the processor gets confused with the high K temperature lighting.

I have a canon 7D and the same macro lens you mentioned.
I have been shooting with Av priority and auto focus, but I am not getting the results I want.

How do you adjust the WB on the camera like you have described?

You photos are excellent, and I realize I have a long way to go.

I have been shooting with Av priority and auto focus, but I am not getting the results I want.

1: Shoot in Raw
2: Av is Good - I use (I actually let the camera use Auto WB) an aperture of f8 and an iso of 6000 I think (I don't like turning off the pumps just to take pics haha).
3: Post process the photos in Adobe Lightroom or whatever you may have. Allows adjustements after the fact for Color (k), Exposure, bringing out shaded areas.

2013_07_30_Yellow_Goby_Pagoda_Crop.jpg

2013_08_07_FAOIS_ORA_Marshall_Island_Green_Bottlebrush.jpg

You photos are excellent, and I realize I have a long way to go.

Av is good - I never use autofocus with a macro. You need to control the focus point because the macro lens has a shallow DOF. Some of my shots are processed with a technique called focus stacking where several shots with different focus points are "stacked" together.

I also use manual ISO and try to shoot in as low of an ISO setting as possible (unless you are trying to shoot fish - whole different story). I always turn off all pumps and use a tripod and sometimes you have to play around with several shots to get the right speed/iso setting to get a sharp picture. I usually shoot with -1/3 to -1 exposure to get good color saturation.

If you look at Ted's shots the first shot is very sharp with great color saturation. However, (with all due apologies and respect) - the 2nd shot shows the color distortion problem with shooting in a high iso. The green of the echinata frag (I think) doesn't really come through - you should be getting a nice sharp consistent green which is the focal point of your shot.

As for WB - the 6d has a WB setting and I can set it to 10K. Not sure about the 7d but it should have at a minimum WB settings with the icons - I would choose the "shade" (~7K). If you shoot under actinic lights you will probably have to use photoshop (or whatever post processing program) to adjust the WB after. Shoot in RAW (you will get these .CR2 files). When you import the photo into photoshop you can adjust the WB settings. Sometimes the "blue" is just too much even to adjust in photoshop and you may have to reshoot in a different lighting setup.

no problem Nov - I'm still a novice too. Thanks for the advice. Its an Ora Green marshall Islands (unnamed) green bottlebrush frag.

no problem Nov - I'm still a novice too. Thanks for the advice. Its an Ora Green marshall Islands (unnamed) green bottlebrush frag.

You should shoot it again manual ISO (100-400) Av with about 4-5.6 and on a tripod - post it to see if there is any different.

More Photos

Toxic Cyphastrea
- really like the polyp extension, this coral receded a bit but is recovering again

IMG_1341

Purple Bonsai
- not growing much - lots of encrusting

IMG_1340

ORA Bird of Paradise

IMG_1337

Pink Lemonade
- more like a green lemonade right now

IMG_1336

Slimer
- about to collide with a tenuis

IMG_1335

Acropora sp.
- major space competition

IMG_1334

Red Dragon - more like a brown dragon right now. Long ways to go.

IMG_1347

RR Poison Ivy
- long ways to go have to get it to colour up

IMG_1345

Acro sp.
- forgot what this was - might be lokani

IMG_1348

Tiny Orange Chalice

IMG_1350

Zoa

IMG_1342

Red Planet (not new)
-more like a purple and green planet but coming along

IMG_1328

Bird's Nest
- not really colouring up but growing

IMG_1326

Acropora sp.

IMG_1325

Forest Fire Monti
- really like the way this is colouring up

IMG_1322

Acro
- Frag tip sitting in a forest of frags

IMG_1320

Very nice photos. The 6D is really an awesome camera.

Thanks, all.
Won't argue on the Canon 6D. The things I find to big difference vs. my old T1i is the ability to shoot at high ISO (like above 8000) w/o a lot of distortion. Also, the ability to manually adjust WB to 10K allows for a better capture of true lighting conditions w/o a lot of post processing.

Takes much better HD videos too!

I just picked up the 6D and am loving the full frame sensor. The low noise at high ISO is one benefit for sure.

Keep working on your white balance. I suggest shooting RAW and setting your WB during post. Super simple and very accurate color.

Back