NPS photos

LisaP

Premium Member
It's been too long since we had some NPS eye candy posted in this forum. So how about I get it going again, here are a few of my NPS corals, please feel free to add pictures of yours too. :)

suns070521.png
sunyellow070521.png
greensun151221.png
blacksun030222.png
yellowdendro151221.png

Orangedendrosm120522.png
Rhizosm170422.png

It's been too long since we had some NPS eye candy posted in this forum. So how about I get it going again, here are a few of my NPS corals, please feel free to add pictures of yours too. :)

View attachment 32371588View attachment 32371589View attachment 32371590View attachment 32371591View attachment 32371592

View attachment 32371595View attachment 32371596
Beautiful pictures. I can't say I know anything about nps corals but I find they often look like goniopora. Are they a type?

nice corals. the ones that look like goniopora or duncans are LPS and they are dendrophyllia and they are the easiest to keep as they can eat foods like pellets. i plan on getting some dendronepthea and black dendrophillia someday soon

Beautiful pictures. I can't say I know anything about nps corals but I find they often look like goniopora. Are they a type?
All but one are from the same family (Dendrophylliidae), they are generally referred to as sun corals. The last photo is from a different family but is really just a big single sun coral polyp. :D

Here are a few more:

Wire corals, a couple of Chirrhipathes sp. and a Stichopathes sp.

orangespiral141221.png
yellowspiral300521.png

brownspiral030322.png

Balanophyllia sp.

balano280122.png

Menella
gorgonian

menellamacro251021.png

And a FTS as requested :)

FTS020522sm.png

The large polyped NPS corals (sun corals etc) are target fed probably 6 out of 7 days on average. Most often I give them Mysis, Krill pacifica or LPS pellets, sometimes I include chopped squid, lance fish, mussel etc. I also add copepods, lobster eggs, Calanus, fish eggs and various powdered foods for the gorgonians etc. Regular additions of phytoplankton too for those that appreciate it.

Here are a few more:

Wire corals, a couple of Chirrhipathes sp. and a Stichopathes sp.

View attachment 32371604View attachment 32371605

View attachment 32371609

Balanophyllia sp.

View attachment 32371607

Menella
gorgonian

View attachment 32371608

And a FTS as requested :)

View attachment 32371610

The large polyped NPS corals (sun corals etc) are target fed probably 6 out of 7 days on average. Most often I give them Mysis, Krill pacifica or LPS pellets, sometimes I include chopped squid, lance fish, mussel etc. I also add copepods, lobster eggs, Calanus, fish eggs and various powdered foods for the gorgonians etc. Regular additions of phytoplankton too for those that appreciate it.
what do you do on vacation? which corals prefer phytoplankton the most?

what do you do on vacation? which corals prefer phytoplankton the most?
I don't go on holiday, lol. :p Seriously when I'm away my son feeds the tank, I have him well trained.

To be honest I really have no idea what eats the phytoplankton, I am adding it in the hope that it benefits the tube worms, filter feeding bivalves etc. :)

im hopefully just going to keep dendronepthea and mabye black sun coral. can they kinda survive on their own? ik dendro can but idk about sun corals cause they eat large prey. would gut loading them with nutrients work?

Well fed NPS corals should be able to withstand a two week fast without too much trouble. Certainly sun corals will be totally fine, a bit unhappy maybe but still fine in the long run. :LOL:

Dendronepthea is a whole different ball game however, feeding them is a tricky proposition at the best of times. I would imagine an auto feeder would be a good idea, even when at home an auto feeder would help enormously. I haven't tried keeping them so take what I say with a pinch of salt. I'm just going on what I've read in books etc. ;)

Love it.
I always wanted to set up another NPS tank with a continuous feed system from a refrigerator and a massive refugium to help handle the load and for allot of critters to live and spawn in. I just do not have the time right now.
Allot of nps corals need almost continuous feedings or they slowly starve.

Love it.
I always wanted to set up another NPS tank with a continuous feed system from a refrigerator and a massive refugium to help handle the load and for allot of critters to live and spawn in. I just do not have the time right now.
you just need to keep the tank in darkness

Love it.
I keep toying with the idea of going all NPS. I’ve always wanted to try it but I’m not sure I’m ready to part with my light loving corals quite yet :) Plus NPS are quite hard to source over here, it’s taken years to track down my current stock.

I keep toying with the idea of going all NPS. I’ve always wanted to try it but I’m not sure I’m ready to part with my light loving corals quite yet :) Plus NPS are quite hard to source over here, it’s taken years to track down my current stock.

Yea other than suncorals and dendro's most are hard to get here t0o and dendros are now not cheap.
Suncorals and dendros are so much easier than the rest.
I think the rest are just so hard to keep and only a few really want to put in the time and effort they are just not collected. The few that come in I think end up in the hands of those who really do not know what they are and perish.

Last edited:
Back