O/T World Cup..England vs USA

OK,
i'm sad so had to watch game on replay.The refs got 2 offsides wrong against England,but would it have changed the final result ?One of the calls ,yes,Rooney was on side &could of converted.
On a side note,I think Tim Howard is or/should be English.You guys have a top 5 goalkeeper in the woirld playing for team USA.The only thing that frightens me,is that Brad Freidel,isn't the USA main keeper & that is by his choice-he is even better than Tim Howard,if that is possible.The USA is currently producing some of the best keepers in the world.

Speckled Grouper, Germany looked damn good today, damn good. I love the World Cup and can't wait to go to it in 2014 in Brazil (as well as the Olympics). Luckily, I have a lot of Brazilian friends and was there for 3 months last year. I was in Brazil last year for the Confederations Cup and when we were leading Brazil 2-0 at the half I was getting a lot of bad looks from the locals and my freiends down there wouldn't even talk to me, and, of course, after Brazil took the lead and won the game everyone had to rub it in (at least they bought me a lot of ice-cold beers). A friend of my friend (yes he was Brazilian, I was probably the only gringo in the entire city of Goiania) actually bet on the USA, so all of my Brazilian friends were really mad at him and really gave him a hard time after Brazil ended up winning.
Anyways, watching the game on Saturday, I still can't believe Altidore's late shot didn't go in after the deflection by the goalie (Green made a good save there, so England shouldn't be too mad there, because 9 out 10 times, that would have been a goal). If the goal post was just a couple of inches wider, we would have pulled an upset almost as big as when we beat Spain last year. Go USA!!!

well at least everyone knows who will not be the goalkeeper for England in the next game.
Why? the guy made one mistake, not like he did it on purpose. what about the saves he did make? maybe anothe goal keeper would not have saved them.

Its just one of of freaky things that can happen in sports.

Recife111,
you are correct,I was just very frustrated.I have waited four years for this tournament.After watching England qualify so easily to get to the world cup,it was a little upsetting to see that happen.As for Rob Green,they will have to play him on Friday's game,if not his confidence will be shot.
Germany has set the standard & I feel bad for whoever has to face them in the round of 16-it could be the USA or England,at this moment.

Germany beat up on an OLD Aussie team and is a very young team. Once they face a team with legs and maturity it's gonna be a whole different story.

I think alot of teams should look at the US goal on Saturday and take note. Sometimes these guys get a little too cute when in close to the goal and because of that, don't even get a shot on the keeper. Sometimes it pays to just put the ball on goal and see what happens.

I think alot of teams should look at the US goal on Saturday and take note. Sometimes these guys get a little too cute when in close to the goal and because of that, don't even get a shot on the keeper. Sometimes it pays to just put the ball on goal and see what happens.

Exactly! You can't score if you don't shoot, and throughout the years you see hundreds of goals that come from easy stops that take a bad deflection off a defender or the goalie mishandles it and someone is there to finish the shot (Michael Owen is one of the best at that). I always feel that if you have a shot, take it, don't expect to get a better look, take the shot at soon as you get the oppurtunity. Most of the time the goalie is going to stop it, but not always.

As for Green, yeah, he screwed that one up, but he did make a few great saves, mainly Altidore's late shot that very easily could have given the US the win.

A while back I attended a math with a friend cheering for Brazil and what an eye opener, been hooked ever since. I have attended many sporting events but none match the intensity and feeling of the stadium full of crazy football (soccer) fans, drums, chanting (Brazil Brazil, Brazil) jumping and dancing from the first minute non stop until the last whistle. If you are not a fan and find it boring on TV, try making it to a world class match it will put the game in perspective and you will find out why the world goes crazy over the cup.

Germany beat up on an OLD Aussie team and is a very young team
I really fail to see what age had got to do with it, they are not that old, media hype.

You would have also noticed that Australia had many chances to score,

At the end of the day Australia was never going to beat Germany as they are totally different pedigree. Maybe in 10 years things will change as Australian soccer is getting better.

Back