Ocean Runner 2700 meshmod?

Do you already have this pump?

If so what sizes are the inlet and ouput on this?

If it turns out to be the same size as an OTP2000, I've done both of what you are asking. I think the OTP is a clone of the Ocean Runner.

It is on its way. I will post more when it arrives. It is the turbo kit from premium aquatics and I think it will have an attachment for the intake to make a venturi out of. I know the OR pumps are oddly sized so we will see.. (I have the 3500 as a return and it was a pain to mate to my PVC, but this is a retro kit so it may be better)

It says :

1 inch male thread inlet 3/4 inch male thread outlet, here is a link, marine depot has a better picture of the attachments than PA.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AQ1171

I am busy trying to find some enkmat on ebay ATM. I swear I saw some yesterday.

I might be trying the recirculation mod for the CSS... Still deciding.

Do you have a link to you mod I could check out for now?

Last edited:
Sure,

here .

I don't know if the standard size pipe would work for you, but the venturi I made took like five minutes and works great.

Yup, I have done the mesh mod to a OR2700. I used Gutter guard though. I also made a venturi for it.

What would you like to know? I think I may have some pics around and can explain what I did. I went through several varitions on a 4" pvc skimmer.

Tim

RIght now it looks like I am going to get a used skimmer body (8") and I think I am going to modify it with two recirculating OR 2700's.

I am going to use enkmat on it. Am I going to have to cut the needlewheel impeller and how many layers do you think It will fit? I guess I just want some tips on modding it with mesh from someone who had modded their 2700 impellers... Like what you think would be best with enkmat in layers, cutting the impeller, how many zipties.. etc.

Do you think your venturi would work in a recirculating setup? If so I definately want some pics...

Pics of anything OR 2700 are right up my alley I guess :)

Cool. The OR impeller is very easy. I used a razor knife and just popped off the first 2 NWs. I think the last NW is attached to the impeller assembly so I didn't mess with it. So thats what I use to attach the Gutter Guard. There are 12 pins on a single NW so I used 4 of the smallest zip ties I could find. I also tried to make sure that they were as close to the center as possible and eyeballed the zip ties so they were balance across the NW.

I made several attempts at the diameter of the GG but found that you can't make it any bigger than the NW. It just wouldn't pull the water out of the air feed at start up. It would just sit there and cavitate. Well to be fair my skimmer's reaction chamber is 26" tall. With a shorter skimmer probably wouldn't be a problem.

I used 5 layers of GG but I also flattened them out with a hammer and anvil (lightly as to not break the intersections apart). I thought this would allow more layers and I would "fluff" them up when it was all together (which I did).

Enakamat I don't really know b/c I haven't gotten my hands on any but the GG works much better then the stock NWs so I may just stick with what I have.

I cut the GG oversize in squares, arranged them so all layers were offset and used a 3/8" compression ring to cut the hole in the center. Just set the ring where I wanted the hole and a scrap of wood and popped with a hammer and makes a perfect hole for the impeller. Then I attached the GG with the ties and used the remaining NW to cut the GG to size.

Thats pretty much it I think. Sorry for the ramble and no pics.

Hope this helps you a bit anyway. I have a venturi that I broke when making it so I'll take some pics and explain.

HTH
Tim

OR 2700 accepts standard 3/4 fittings. I have found 2 layers of enkamat works the best but with the pump mounted recirculating I still have to blow air into the line on startup. fishing line works better than zip ties. secure near the center, fluffy on the edges

I tried a lot of "venturis". the best I have found has been the topjimmy version - a pinched 3/4 tee with airline inserted through a hose barb

Back