Oceanic 58 club

Josh125

Reading through Lunchbuckets' thread, I saw it suggest that we have a 58 club....so here it is :)

I'm finally starting to set my 58 up.....or atleast ordering the parts and get the system lined out in my head.

So far the only thing I have ordered is a BRI Plus canopy/stand from bluereef that is scheduled to ship the 21st of this month.

I do have a question about flow. My tank is going to mainly be softies. I will run a mag7 as a return and plan to do a CL. Can I drill the back of the tank? If so, I will do a 1" line to a mag 9.5 back up through a OM squirt. Do you all think this will cut it for the flow? I would sure hope so, that's turning the water ~23 times.

Well, I've started the club now it's up to you all to join in

:D

Uh oh, I always thought I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member. Too late :D

That should cut it for flow, but ...

I've found these to be `tall' tanks for their 3' width ... and in mine I've pretty much resigned myself to needing a maxijet in there near the bottom of the overflow. Then again, all tanks and keepers are different, and you might not.

The only thing I would wonder about is using a different pump than a Mag for the closed loop. While Mags can be run externally, you do hear about problems every once in a while. They also add heat to the tank, may not be the most electrically efficient choice. Just my take on it, but I'd look around at pumps and find which one runs low-power, and doesn't add a lot of heat.

Just my take on it ... seems like a good setup.

Glad to have you in Club 58, the founding member!

Ha, everyone wants to belong to a club...just human nature I think! :) Good point on flow at the bottom of the tank, I might have throw a PH at the bottom like you mentioned....guess I will have to wait and see. I have been back and forth about the CL pump, the more I think about it I will probably go with a Eheim pump rated under 1000 GPH so the OM can handle it.....thanks!

Ok, so post up some pics of your 58's!

I have a 58 RR that i recently set up, i put a T on the return line and split it to come out of the overflow on each side, Using a Mag 9.5 for the return and it seems to have plenty of flow. I do have a closed look in the works though

Re: Oceanic 58 club

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=5583650#post5583650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Josh125
Reading through Lunchbuckets' thread, I saw it suggest that we have a 58 club....so here it is :)

I'm finally starting to set my 58 up.....or atleast ordering the parts and get the system lined out in my head.

So far the only thing I have ordered is a BRI Plus canopy/stand from bluereef that is scheduled to ship the 21st of this month.

I do have a question about flow. My tank is going to mainly be softies. I will run a mag7 as a return and plan to do a CL. Can I drill the back of the tank? If so, I will do a 1" line to a mag 9.5 back up through a OM squirt. Do you all think this will cut it for the flow? I would sure hope so, that's turning the water ~23 times.

Well, I've started the club now it's up to you all to join in

:D

Hey. That's exactly what I've decided on, everything, the tank, pumps, and OM squirt, exactly!

Back