Octo pic

reefergeorge

I've had him for over two months now, and he finally started coming out a little more. The pic was taken around midnight with just the red leds on. He apparently is nocturnal, and very camera shy. Sorry :thumbdown

Same pic just tried getting better detail.

100_07221.jpg

ryanspicstwo001.jpg

ryanspicstwo002.jpg

Do you have him in the 125? I was thinking about making my biocube into a specimen tank for an octo

Looks like an O. Briareus ?
They're very cool, actually they're what got me back into saltwater. A nocturnal species (like most), but mine would come slinking out during the day if I left the tank lights off.
Be sure to keep the tank covered TIGHT. They're def one to crawl out. Lost both my briareuses that way. The female I had, she was always watching everyone. The one time she came out, I happened to be near the tank, wrapping Christmas presents. I swear she wanted to get a closer look, next thing I know she's coming down the outside of the tank. Very odd feeling to have her crawl into my hands to put her back in. No other feeling in the world like an octopus grabbing you. I don't think you ever really get used to it.
Thinking about maybe getting another when I get everything moved out of my 90.

No, he is in a 20 long for now. I wasn't sure if an octo was for me, so I kept things cheap at first. I'm now in process of setting up a 75 just for him, and maybe a few mollies or damsels.

They are something else to keep. I'm not sure who watches who more. He seems to always have an eye on what is going on in the room.

IMO Unless you get a dwarf, you should at least go with a 40B.

Tig, I was told he is a Octopus vulgaris, but have been trying to get a good ID. They are very hard to get a picture of.

If he's a vulgaris, he's gonna get big. A good skimmer for him, like one rated for 3x the total water volume, is highly recommended, as they are dirty dudes.
Post a pic of him in the cephalopod forum. If no luck there, you could try TONMO, they really know their stuff on that site.
Gook luck with him, they're a blast.

Anything other than dwarf species should be kept in a 65 or bigger. I was eventually gonna get an octo, but I can only afford my one tank in the future. Awesome octo though :thumbsup: congrats!

Back