Office tank - what do people do about weekend feedings?

rEd86

Premium Member
Greetings.

We are setting up an aquarium (180 gallon) in our office that will house a variety of corals and fish.

I wanted to see what others do about weekend feedings. Do you just skip the weekends or have things on a feeding timer? What type of timer do you use? Do you use the same food for both weekdays and weekends? Any details of your success (or failures to avoid) would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

--Ed

I would probably setup an automatic feeder and fill it with everything from flakes to pellets, to freeze-dried foods. On weekdays, feed the fish the good stuff like live or frozen foods. You could also put nori in the tank prior to leaving the office on the weekend.

I'd personally get an automatic feeder and have it feed the tank like a few times a day. If you have tangs, buy the nori flakes and have the feeder dispense that.

its 2 days..
just feed them on friday night and monday morning. sometimes i feed my fish every 2 days. they dont need feeding EVERYDAY.

I agree with LoBoP, feeding everyday is not a necessity in an established reef tank. If you feed M-F skipping sat and sun is not going to starve your fish/corals. Unless you have high demand fitler feeders like carnation corals or gorgs then skip the sat/sun. An auto feeder is just an unnecessary risk IMO. If it malfunctions and dumps more food than it's supposed to then you could have excess nutriets introduced and additional problems occur.

If you avoid fish that are known to need frequent feedings to stay plump and healthy you should be fine just skipping feeding for a couple days. For instance, I wouldn't suggest you attempt any Anthias.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10434146#post10434146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
If you avoid fish that are known to need frequent feedings to stay plump and healthy you should be fine just skipping feeding for a couple days. For instance, I wouldn't suggest you attempt any Anthias.

x2

OK. I am going to opt for a 1-2 times a week feeding schedule to simplify the process in the office. There are times when I travel (or try and get in a vacation) and I have been worried about someone else taking over the work if it's too demanding.

Given this feeding schedule, in addition to Anthias, are there any other fish/corals you would recommend we avoid?

Thanks for the input!

--Ed

steer clear of carnation corals, sun corals, dendros and any other coral that needs fed i'd say

steer clear of mandarins or scooter blennies until it's been up awhile

Dont feed them...we feed our tanks way too much. I have fish that are supposed to be fed 2 times a day, I have left for a week without feeding and they looked just fine with no ill effects.

Not feeding for the weekend=good for your tank.

Oh by the way, if you have a refugium, it could supply your tank with food and you could even get some strawberry baskets and invert them and put them in your tank with a bunch of rubble in there. It would be a safe haven for pods to breed and a place for your fish to hunt and get food. A few of those pod hotels discretly put in the back corners or the back side of the main tank might be good.

Back