Office Tranquility (75g mixed)

Few new additions today.

Mail order fish; why not...

Used LiveAquaria's float method with an assist from wifey's hair jobbies.

Nice set up.

Thanks. Plenty left to do but I was out of town all of August and I've been slightly lazy since returning. Still trying to decide if I'm going to have a canopy done or just move up to a larger tank and leave this as is for now.

Had a Randall's goby come in yesterday that was on its death bed. Shipped from Live Aquaria, it arrived with no packing peanuts and an ice pack right up against the small bag. The goby was motionless and not breathing. After about 30 seconds of inspecting the bag I noticed a pectoral fin barely wave. After another five to 10 seconds it gasped for air and then went motionless again. I floated the bag and the goby repeated the gasps for air every 30-45 seconds (no other gill movement what-so-ever). After roughly 15 minutes I opened the bag and used their recommended floating acclimation process. Every four minutes I added a half a cup of water and poured it in from a ways up to agitate the water (the goby was totally unresponsive and just floated upside down). I repeated this process at least 10 times and moved the goby to my sump so I could retrieve the corpse that was inevitable. The goby arrived to my home around 9:45am and by 8pm, the goby was purposefully moving in the sump (this started around 7pm). Breathing was still erratic but it would move a short distance and you could tell it meant to go to that spot. It was able to holds itself upright now. Since the sump lights come on all night for the refugium, I decided to move it to the main tank so it could rest up with the lights out. It immediately found the burrows that the existing tiger pistol had made and dropped down in the tunnels. Fast forward almost 24 hours and I come home to this:

He/she didnt eat this afternoon but is looking much better. I'm actually optimistic that this little guy that was as close to dead as anything could get, will actually pull through.

Thanks for such an inspirational build. :)

You've definitely set the bar high for cleanliness of install and organization of all the mechanical and electrical elements!

I look forward to seeing the continuation!

You've definitely set the bar high for cleanliness of install and organization of all the mechanical and electrical elements!

I was just thinking "how can i do my install for my 95 like he did" [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Had a Randall's goby come in yesterday that was on its death bed. Shipped from Live Aquaria, it arrived with no packing peanuts and an ice pack right up against the small bag. The goby was motionless and not breathing. After about 30 seconds of inspecting the bag I noticed a pectoral fin barely wave. After another five to 10 seconds it gasped for air and then went motionless again. I floated the bag and the goby repeated the gasps for air every 30-45 seconds (no other gill movement what-so-ever). After roughly 15 minutes I opened the bag and used their recommended floating acclimation process. Every four minutes I added a half a cup of water and poured it in from a ways up to agitate the water (the goby was totally unresponsive and just floated upside down). I repeated this process at least 10 times and moved the goby to my sump so I could retrieve the corpse that was inevitable. The goby arrived to my home around 9:45am and by 8pm, the goby was purposefully moving in the sump (this started around 7pm). Breathing was still erratic but it would move a short distance and you could tell it meant to go to that spot. It was able to holds itself upright now. Since the sump lights come on all night for the refugium, I decided to move it to the main tank so it could rest up with the lights out. It immediately found the burrows that the existing tiger pistol had made and dropped down in the tunnels. Fast forward almost 24 hours and I come home to this:

He/she didnt eat this afternoon but is looking much better. I'm actually optimistic that this little guy that was as close to dead as anything could get, will actually pull through.

That's odd from live aquaria, they usually over pack mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome. hopefully it make sit through. I have a 75g also. what is your fish list as of now in the tank?

Coral beauty, female lyretail anthias, chalk bass, yellowhead jawfish, and a Randall's goby. There was/is a yellow watchman goby (havent seen it in weeks but not unusual for them though I would have thought it and the Randall's would have raised a stink together) and a yellow assessor (hasnt shown his/her face since introduced to the tank but it's only been three days).

I took elements from other peoples builds and incorporated it into this one. There are still lots of things I'd like to do a bit different but I'll wait for the next build (planning on going bigger soon).

I was just thinking "how can i do my install for my 95 like he did" [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

These build threads are fantastic for gathering ideas.

That's odd from live aquaria, they usually over pack mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The previous order was packed very well. Thankfully, the goby appears to have recovered and seems to be well.

Ugh, that time again. I've been lazy and went three weeks this time. I need to build a mixing station here pretty soon. At 20g it isnt bad but if/when I step up to a bigger tank this just isnt going to work.

Using the Hanna ULR:

Fresh mixed RC with RODI: .015ppm

Aquarium three weeks after previous water change: .01 first test .0 second test (last weekend it was .062 I believe)

KH: ~7

If I hadnt been lazy last weekend it probably wouldnt have dropped below 8. Nice to see it actually start to come down though (time for some two part).

This little guy is quickly becoming my favorite fish of all time. It has so much character! Always twists its little head observing you and everything else that is going on. It is just like a pug only in the water; I was cracking up the whole time. Was shy at first but is really inquisitive now and wants to see what is happening. Must have for any aquarium!

awesome. hopefully it make sit through. I have a 75g also. what is your fish list as of now in the tank?

The yellow assessor just popped out; he's living dangerously in the same tunnels as the goby and tiger pistol apparently. Heard a pop and he came swimming out LOL.

When we bought the angel, it dwarfed the anthias. Fast forward roughly three months and she has turned into a bruiser. Colored up fantastic and is growing like a weed. Very mellow mannered but I swear she is part grouper.

The pipe organ that was purchased from a local forum member is opening up nicely (guess it didnt get the memo about being bed time) too.

More photos for the love of God haha, can I see the sump please :)

Missed this post some how, sorry. This is the sump as of today. I still need to clean up some wires and I'm experimenting with the PAR38 to see if it provides any real advantage over the 6500k CFLs I've been using. I still havent installed the magnetic door switches but in my defense, I was out of town all of August LOL.

After a few days of testing the PAR38 over the refugium, I've come to the conclusion that it is doing more harm than good. The light appears to be burning the caulerpa in a few spots, presumably due to the relatively short distance between the two. I dont have enough headroom in the stand to effectively increase this distance so I'll continue on with the 6500k CFLs (probably time to replace these actually). I may be able to find some lower intensity LEDs in the same range however.

Do your hermits congregate at night? These guys/gals do every single night and in the same spot.

I haven't seen mine do that in either tank. They are generally busy picking through different areas.

I did notice LARGE congregations like that on a recent snorkeling trip off Curacao though... fwiw.

I haven't seen mine do that in either tank. They are generally busy picking through different areas.

I did notice LARGE congregations like that on a recent snorkeling trip off Curacao though... fwiw.

I dont remember it happening in my previous setups either; been interesting to watch.

Back