Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

That will solve the problem and is the primary reason for pulling from the lid. Also, if your ehiem is making noise it will likely solve that too.

Thanks a lot for your help Mark. Today I changed the set up of the reactor as you suggested and so far so good. Fortunately the eheim is dead silent, just the slight buzz when it smashes the CO2 bubbles.

When using this setup with a peristaltic and the AP Electronic Regulator you do not want to use a controller to control the ph. Use the controller to monitor the ph levels and as a safety should the ph drop too far.

Tune the reactor so the regulator is ALWAYS running. Tune it so you have a 6.5ph without the regulator turning off or a controller keeping it there. This is a pretty big part of the setup and if you are using a controller you are making your reactor/tank less stable.

Again. Tune your reactors without the controller. Set the controller to turn off at 6.1 or 6.2 and tune the reactor to 6.5 with the regulator itself.

To be clear if you are running a Koraillian reactor and pulling the water through you will not have to run the ehiem pump for recirculating.
I also have a Deltec reactor, and the aqua bee pumps are a PItA that was my nitrate reactor but finding pump for the slow flow was impossible.

To be clear if you are running a Koraillian reactor and pulling the water through you will not have to run the ehiem pump for recirculating.

No. You run the eheim for recirculation and you pull water from the reactor using the peristaltic pump. At least, that's the way I do it

When using this setup with a peristaltic and the AP Electronic Regulator you do not want to use a controller to control the ph. Use the controller to monitor the ph levels and as a safety should the ph drop too far.

Tune the reactor so the regulator is ALWAYS running. Tune it so you have a 6.5ph without the regulator turning off or a controller keeping it there. This is a pretty big part of the setup and if you are using a controller you are making your reactor/tank less stable.

Again. Tune your reactors without the controller. Set the controller to turn off at 6.1 or 6.2 and tune the reactor to 6.5 with the regulator itself.

I'll save for the AP electronic regulator as you strongly recommend using it instead of the controller. Also, I have to make sure they ship to Europe. Anyway, I don´t think you can use the controller to turn off at pH 6.1 as a safety measure. That would imply that the solenoid valve controlled by the controller is always on (except in the rare case that the pH goes down lower than pH 6.1). Regular solenoid valves heat up when turned on. If it is always on I think it may get damaged in a few days or weeks.

Some advise on this or am I wrong concerning the solenoid valve? May be the AP electronic regulator itself can be programmed, by means of the external controller, to shut off when the safety pH is reached?

Guys what is int/ma/v on the pump and which option should I choose.Mine is running on int by default is this correct.

The eheim on the korallin still needs to be used as a recirc pump to dissolve the co2 and keep it flowing. The feed pump is the peristaltic. The peristaltic is only a feed pump. It does not matter if it pulls or pushes the effluent, its the same. Pulling is just safer.

int = internal
ma = current controlled from external source
v = voltage control from external source

Unless you have a controller that you want to use to change speed and remote start/stop the unit then int is the correct setting.

question on error "1"

question on error "1"

Just received a 7523-60 masterflex and when I power it on I get an error "1"... I've looked at the manual online and it has error code troubleshooting for 2 and higher.... I haven't received my tubing yet so I don't have it in place in the pump head and maybe that is what is throwing it off? If anyone possibly knows what this is before I contact the seller in case I need to return. Thanks for any help.

Ty

It doesn't need tubing to operate. Give cole-parmer a call and see if they have any tips for you. Error 1 is most likely internal which is not a good thing. It might have been damaged in shipping. Make sure the seller knows there is a problem asap. That is really a bummer.

Cole parmer has excellent customer support. They will gladly assist you on this one.

Tagging along for this one. Still dosing two part but someday soon I'll have to make the leap to a reactor.

cole-parmers are very nice, to bad they cost so much even used on ebay

Worth every penny. Every setup I had in the past, I tried to use high end regulators and great reactors....I still had clogs and inconsistent effluent. Once I added a peristaltic pump, it was dead on reliable.

Mark (tkeracer619) had helped me source a digital drive unit, it was around $400 shipped IIRC...worth every penny. But that was truly the top of the line, if you can find a CP/Masterflex for 200-ish it is a great deal. Think about it...on a reactor setup you easily spend $100 for the tank, $200-300 for a quality regulator, maybe $400-$700 on a good reactor(that's not even factoring in controller, probes, media, etc). What is $200-$400(I have seen lower end masterflex pumps for $100-$150) more on a pump that will reliably control the effluent?

out of curiosity, wouldn't a a doser pump work almost the same?

The cheap little doser pumps are not powerful enough, do not run slow enough, and most importantly are almost always not rated for continuous use. These are industrial pumps that can run and run and run and very slowly.

out of curiosity, wouldn't a a doser pump work almost the same?

Dosing pumps are not made for continuous duty. For example, call BRS and ask them if you could use their dosing pumps for 24/7 operation, and they will tell you no. The Masterflex pumps are made for lab/industrial 24/7 type operation. You could use a dosing pump, then buy another after it breaks, then another, etc, if you see what I mean. Even buying used, you will buy a Masterflex once and only have to change out the dripset every 3 months or so.

It's simpler to just get a calcium reactor that doesn't requite a feed pump / perestalsis pump. Less equipment and less headache.
Ken

Like a Korallin 1502? That was the worst reactor I have ever owned, and that is not including the no feed pump required claim that did not work at all.

Like a Korallin 1502? That was the worst reactor I have ever owned, and that is not including the no feed pump required claim that did not work at all.

No, like my Marine Technical Concepts Pro Cal.
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

What claim do you mean?

This is from the operation instructions included with the reactor:

Use an optional small powerhead (such as the MaxiJet 400 or Rio 90) to actively feed water into the Kalkreakor. It serves three purposes:
?? It is a much more reliable water feeding method than siphoning or self-suction
?? It pressurizes the Kalkreaktor to enhance water / CO2 dissolution
?? It enables the Kalkreaktor to expel trapped air more easily

Back