Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Yep. Just make sure that the gas inlet is sealed/turned off our you'll make a neat little water fountain :)

I think we've all made that mistake :lol:

I was 15 minutes into cleaning my reactor the last time before I :uhoh2: and realized I hadn't unplugged the recirc pump... didn't even notice it had died sometime in the prior week or two :mad:

I think we've all made that mistake :lol:

I was 15 minutes into cleaning my reactor the last time before I :uhoh2: and realized I hadn't unplugged the recirc pump... didn't even notice it had died sometime in the prior week or two :mad:

One of the things I like about my Reef Octopus CR5000 with an external pump. Easy to verify it is on.

Mine was super easy to verify, you could hear that little mag 3.5 from the other side of the house. With so many things going on I failed to notice the lack of white noise... Don't have that issue with the ehiem I replaced it with.

Mine was super easy to verify, you could hear that little mag 3.5 from the other side of the house. With so many things going on I failed to notice the lack of white noise... Don't have that issue with the ehiem I replaced it with.

I understand not hearing common sounds in the house. I sit in the same room with the Grandfather Clock and can go hours without consciously hearing it chime.

Might be a silly question but would it be ok to setup my system to test on tank without the CO2 on? Want to turn in on and check for leaks and ect.
You want to do that anyway to purge all the air out the reactor and lines before you bring the reactor online with co2.

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Question: Has anyone found a quick disconnect for the Co2 line into the reactor yet? Maybe something like this: https://www.industrialspec.com/shop...ducts/medical-quick-disconnect-couplings.html

Reason: When I tear the reactor down to clean, I absolutely dread putting that hard Co2 piping over the nipple. Even when I heat the tubing up I always worry about damaging the nipple, it takes so much force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question: Has anyone found a quick disconnect for the Co2 line into the reactor yet? Maybe something like this: https://www.industrialspec.com/shop...ducts/medical-quick-disconnect-couplings.html

Reason: When I tear the reactor down to clean, I absolutely dread putting that hard Co2 piping over the nipple. Even when I heat the tubing up I always worry about damaging the nipple, it takes so much force.

I have John guest fittings on my c02 lines.. Figured that's a standard issue thing since I wouldn't trust ridgid line over a nipple in a pressurized situation at any time. The collar holds it onto the regulator side and the John guest onto the reactor.

I have John guest fittings on my c02 lines.. Figured that's a standard issue thing since I wouldn't trust ridgid line over a nipple in a pressurized situation at any time. The collar holds it onto the regulator side and the John guest onto the reactor.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Got a picture?

This is what I have on all the fittings of my reactor.. I also use one to a ball valve to bleed excess c02 if needed.. I think its pretty standard, I did tap one in for the bleed off though..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not rigid Co2 tubing it's silicone, it's just hard to get it over the nipple/barb.

I was under the impression you had to use Co2 resistant tubing and that would eliminate using John guest fittings?

We have contact!!!!! Display is just a little cloudy but output is now going through a filter sock.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not rigid Co2 tubing it's silicone, it's just hard to get it over the nipple/barb.

I was under the impression you had to use Co2 resistant tubing and that would eliminate using John guest fittings?

There have been tests done on co2 resistant vs regular tubing and the loss of co2 through the so called non resistant is very minimal that it really doesn't matter. Unless you have a super long run of 30+ feet it won't matter.

Back