Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

There's a 7523-60 with 2 easy load heads on ebay now for 399 free shipping, for anyone who looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've never used a peristaltic pump. Do these run non stop? I was just looking at a video of the Pacific Sun Calcfeeder peristaltic pump and it seems like it only run every 3 or 4 seconds rather than continously like I thought they did. Are the masterflex pumps the same way?

The pacific sun is the first reactor i've seen to try and incorporate this method into it from the factory. I haven't really looked into them a whole lot but I think that is where the similarity ends. Their ph control is interesting but I think they overdid it there. If they followed this thread at all in development of that reactor they got lost in ph control. The masteflex is just part of what makes this setup shine.

Are there smaller versions of the masterflex pump? I have hardly any extra space under my 60g

Yes and no. There are modular units where the controller goes remote from the drive. There are also constant speed versions that are small but they are noisy and IME I wouldn't run one continuously.

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Why wouldn't you run it contestantly ? I thought the point if there masterflex was that uses made to be run 24/7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The little constant speed ones aren't anywhere close to as beefy as the ones we're using. I use them for ATO pumps, they are rock solid. My oldest one was thrown away by another reefer 8 or 9 years ago and I pulled it out of the trash :lol: , it was at least 5 to 6 years old at that point. They are also loud.

The systems we are using for reactors are built like tanks, the little ones are more like old chevy trucks.

Are there smaller versions of the masterflex pump? I have hardly any extra space under my 60g

While not a masterflex the new ultra precise spectrapure unit is small and rated for should do well. Slief keyed me into it and I have it sitting at home to be installed once I move some other gear and get my CO2 tank filled.

While not a masterflex the new ultra precise spectrapure unit is small and rated for should do well. Slief keyed me into it and I have it sitting at home to be installed once I move some other gear and get my CO2 tank filled.

Which pump? Litermeter?

similar to the Pacific Sun model this pump pulses. You set how many pulses in a set time period giving between 6 ml/min or as much as 190 ml/min but it is not the exact same as the constant slow turn in a masterflex.

But yes it is supposed to good for constant on and off and comes with a 5 yr guarentee.

I think Slief said that they were in discussions with GEO to integrate with him but I dont totally recall...

Within the next week or two I should have a write up on it as my calcium reactor should be coming online here shortly...

7550-20 is a digitally controlled brushed unit. It is 1.6 to 100 rpm though. It's not an ideal choice unless noise isn't a concern and on a small tank.

How much of a difference is the noise level between a brushed and a brushless model. And ideally I want a pump that does 6-600rpm? Anything else I should look for? I see a bunch on ebay, but none seem to allow returns and are sold as is. If I receive a broken one are parts easily acquirable?

Parts are not really easy to get. They may be sold as is but if advertised as working you can send it back if it doesn't. Just read everything carefully. Brushless are silent. Brushed are not, they have a faint buzz and typically squeak a bit.

Hi guys,

I got an 7550-30 with 77200-60 head and using LS17 tubing. The minumum flow should be 28ml/min but I can't get lower than 30ml/min. Is that normal with anyone?

Also when I try to adjust the flow rate, I only can adjust for 10 units (like 30ml/min --> 40ml/min or 50.. 60), anyone know how can I adjust the flow rate by single unit?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe I missed it but is there a pros and cons list of the different easload head options (I vs II vs III)?

I am trying to decide between III and II

Thanks

Might be a silly question but would it be ok to setup my system to test on tank without the CO2 on? Want to turn in on and check for leaks and ect.

Maybe I missed it but is there a pros and cons list of the different easload head options (I vs II vs III)?

I am trying to decide between III and II

Thanks

They function the same but some have reported the III models are not as robust as the II or I. IME they are all perfectly adequate. The thing to make sure is that you get one for precision tubing and not one for performance tubing. You also have to be careful of "long shaft" versions unless you have a specific pump that requires them.

Back