oh boy

pascal32

stupid is stupid does. My orange shoulder dragged a gorg on top of 4 big branches of Xenia and I didn't do anything about it all week (I knows its him, caught him a few times). Saw it Sunday night and got distracted, then all week I never saw the lights on. Friday I was reminded and set things back in order - wow, 3 stems of the Xenia are gone, one big head floating around, gorg took significant damage. Now I'm not really a fan of Xenia, but this red sea piece is liked by all in the household so it stay on its own rock where it very slowly grows, unable to spread out.

so fast forward to 20 minutes ago...go to feed the fish and there is a head of xenia on the side of my MP40. Chop chop chop, blast through tank.

Tanks going to look great - all nice SPS with Xenia growing in between :(

any suggestions on how to contain a possible Xenia outbreak?

Mix up salt water and try syphoning as much of the pieces as you can off the rock and sand bed and possibly relentless basting of rocks to keep the pieces in the water column where it can be removed by flow thru the overflow. Im not sure this will be the perfect solution but it couldn't hurt. FWIW I have seen xenia come back from a small speck of slime left behind from a fragging so IMO it is entirely possible for lots of the pieces to grow.
Hope this helps and you can minimize the "damage".

I can't visually see any. Fortunately it grows slowly in my system. If it pops up im going to zap them with the electric aptasia wand. No need for Xenia next to some pink lemonade!

Sure does. Takes some practice on how to get them so they dont pull in. Still learning. My main system is clean, LPS tank in another story.

Back