Oily Film

Vi3tKid420

Well, im getting that nasty film on the surface of my water. My two questions is
1. How do i get rid of it, without using a hang on overflow that will work without me taking it out? (Running cpr hang on back skimmer & 50 gal aqua clear hang on filter)
2. what is it?

any possibilities or hook ups i can do without running a sump would be great!

I can't believe nobody answered this for you yet.
The film on the surface of your water is protiens.
I would get some more flow in there towards the surface so it doesn't have the chance to build up. Then the best way to get rid of it is by skimming it out of the water. You are running a skimmer, so just change your flow.

how about adding more flows into your tank...adding a maxijet 1200 or something like that would be fine.

Like Aquaticman said, it's a protein buildup. Using a protein skimmer and directing you powerheads towards the water surface to break it up are about your only options w/o an overflow. ;)

I agree. A little surface agitation goes a long way- add a powerhead. That protein film is most likely preventing important gas exchange and that's not good! Blow it towards your skimmer / filter. If it's a large amount I would manually remove it with a water change too.

paper towels laid on top of the water help a lot, i do that in my freshwater tanks, just "wipe" it up say before you feed your fish or some time as part of your routine cleanings

Dude dont put a paper towel in your tank that guy is crazy.
Just add more flow and maybe center your CPR back pack.

I also had the oily film on the top. I moved my Hydor Koralia 4 towards the top and the film seemed to disappear.

My question is I have a Remora C HOB skimmer with a mag 3 pump. I moved the pump towards the bottom of the tank, should the pump be closer to the top?

Thanks for the input.

Paper towels work fine for a temp fix. Overflow is the only real fix. Carbon, skimmer, and water changes keep it to a minimum but will not get rid of it.

Back