RODI Questions

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
Alright guys, gonna sound like a total newb when it comes to this but with RODI, I am. I currently have a spectrapure 90 gpd 4 stage. My current set up is incredibly basic. It’s connected directly to a spare washer hook up that I just turn on when I need and off when I don’t. The issue is this hook up is old and the ball valve (or whatever it is) no longer seals (resulting in a slow but steady leak), so water is constantly running through the RODI set up. Obviously this isn’t good for the filter media, so my question is, without replacing the old valve (it appears to be welded on as it’s metal (not copper, steel maybe?)

Is there away to leave the water running and then have it stop at a different valve (if that’s a thing?)

Or depending on the work involved, maybe try to automate it even more where I have a float valve in my RODI storage tank that some how automatically triggers it to fill and shut off when needed (without having the water run constantly?)

Thoughts? Confused? I don’t know, it’s late

Shane, can you give me some pics of your setup? One of the things in this hobby I AM good at is RODI😉

Oh, you don’t want the float valve in the water storage determining when it runs and not…TDS creep is a real thing.

There are no steel water lines. Rust. I am going to assume it is a copper line with a soldered on valve.
What you can do with zero skills depends. Is there room to place a new valve if you saw the old one off. You can get SharkBite valves you simply stick on a pipe. No soldering. You would have to shut the water off in the house. You need a clean section of pipe to install it.
or
Put a new valve past the one that is leaking. You can get push to connect valves that go into the plastic line to the RODI at HD

I learned to do plumbing early. Our first house had iron pipe and it would get holes and leak all the time. Also the lead water tank with the side arm burner.

There are no steel water lines. Rust. I am going to assume it is a copper line with a soldered on valve.
What you can do with zero skills depends. Is there room to place a new valve if you saw the old one off. You can get SharkBite valves you simply stick on a pipe. No soldering. You would have to shut the water off in the house. You need a clean section of pipe to install it.
or
Put a new valve past the one that is leaking. You can get push to connect valves that go into the plastic line to the RODI at HD

I learned to do plumbing early. Our first house had iron pipe and it would get holes and leak all the time. Also the lead water tank with the side arm burner.
Sharkbite is awesome for those of us not comfortable with soldering👍

white-john-guest-shut-off-valves-803189-64_100.jpg

I’ll have to get some pics when I get home.

If they’re copper, that’d be news to me as it doesn’t look like copper (or even oxidized copper) but that could be the age as well. These pipes are gray.

Oh, you don’t want the float valve in the water storage determining when it runs and not…TDS creep is a real thing.

Good to note. So it seems the best (and easiest) for my scenario may be to connect another valve after the current valve. Super beginner question, Do they make threaded PVC that would connect to a washer hook up?

I may have to get a TDS Creep bypass too

I’ll have to get some pics when I get home.

If they’re copper, that’d be news to me as it doesn’t look like copper (or even oxidized copper) but that could be the age as well. These pipes are gray.

Good to note. So it seems the best (and easiest) for my scenario may be to connect another valve after the current valve. Super beginner question, Do they make threaded PVC that would connect to a washer hook up?

I may have to get a TDS Creep bypass too

Something like this
200010-reverse-osmosis-ro-garden-hose-laundry-tub-adapter-qc-a.webp

Washer fittings are like garden hose connections. You screw them on and they are sealed by a rubber washer. The same threading used for garden hoses and utility sinks.

Five types of pipe—PEX, PVC, ABS, copper, and galvanized—are commonly found in houses these days. The first 3 are plastic.
Galvanized pipe may appear grey but the connections are threaded. It might appear "welded" if some kind of pipe sealing compound used on the threads has hardened. That would be really old stuff.
galvanized-steel-old-300x191-1.jpg

Something like this
200010-reverse-osmosis-ro-garden-hose-laundry-tub-adapter-qc-a.webp

Washer fittings are like garden hose connections. You screw them on and they are sealed by a rubber washer. The same threading used for garden hoses and utility sinks.

Five types of pipe—PEX, PVC, ABS, copper, and galvanized—are commonly found in houses these days. The first 3 are plastic.
Galvanized pipe may appear grey but the connections are threaded. It might appear "welded" if some kind of pipe sealing compound used on the threads has hardened. That would be really old stuff.
galvanized-steel-old-300x191-1.jpg

It’s likely galvanized. My house was built in 1935 and I just replaced a lot of the cast iron drain pipes with PVC.

And that’s perfect. Then I could put an inline guest valve and perhaps one of the TDS creep bypass valves. Would I need both or could I get away with just the bypass?

Thinking out loud, I think I have the adaptor already, I may just need to addd a guest valve and perhaps the bypass valve too.

A list for my own future reference

I have never worried about TDS creep. My filter goes to zero in about 10 seconds. The amount of water made in 10 seconds is nothing in the 50 gallons It makes each time.

Sounds good. I may just get a guest valve and call it a day then see how my tds measures up

Yeah, I was blowing through DI like it was nothing before I learned about TDS creep. I was replacing it every month or two😳

Since making my own bypass, my DI lasts about a year.

Yeah, I was blowing through DI like it was nothing before I learned about TDS creep. I was replacing it every month or two😳

Since making my own bypass, my DI lasts about a year.

I do not seem to have that problem? I run 2 dual TDS meters. When my filter starts the water coming from the membrane is 7-9 which drops to 2-3 in about 10-20 seconds. I need to refill DI resin about 4 times a year. I could automate that but never felt I needed to.

I do not seem to have that problem? I run 2 dual TDS meters. When my filter starts the water coming from the membrane is 7-9 which drops to 2-3 in about 10-20 seconds. I need to refill DI resin about 4 times a year. I could automate that but never felt I needed to.
I just checked mine. With the system shut down, water in the post RO line was 26. When I opened the TDS bypass, it shot up to 144 within seconds. Then at 1 minute of running the bypass, it was down to 7.

So, in the past, by not using the bypass, I was injecting about 145 TDS water into my DI resin😳

ETA granted, I only run my RODI once a week to fill/topoff my 20 gallon holding tank.

Last edited:
I just checked mine. With the system shut down, water in the post RO line was 26. When I opened the TDS bypass, it shot up to 144 within seconds. Then at 1 minute of running the bypass, it was down to 7.

So, in the past, by not using the bypass, I was injecting about 145 TDS water into my DI resin😳

ETA granted, I only run my RODI once a week to fill/topoff my 20 gallon holding tank.
Mine is automatic and refills when the sensor is dry. The numbers I am telling you are from the last time I watched.
The Hydros logs say it refilled the 80 gallon tub Sep 14, 20 and 27. So I am making water about every 7 days. It runs 4 hours. So maybe 25 gallon at a time.

Okay so one other thing, which I’m not sure if it’ll be addressed with the guest valve, is my good RODI output constantly drips, do we think that’s related or a separate issue?

Okay so one other thing, which I’m not sure if it’ll be addressed with the guest valve, is my good RODI output constantly drips, do we think that’s related or a separate issue?
Not sure I understand.

Back