ok - this time I mean it - no more wrasses!

Ted_C

The McCosker I've had since April jumped. I found him all crisped up sitting on top of the netting I have over the tank - cooked by the lights. There's only one way he could have jumped - I have a 1 inch hole cut in the netting with my acrylic auto-feeder sinking pellet trick inside the hole.

I swear - I have the worst luck with wrasses - this is probably the 6th one I've lost (across different geniuses). I told everyone not to say my name when I bought him so he wouldn't know and would survive.

2015_07_07_Autofeeder.jpg

What size netting is that? I was told that 1/4" netting is a must as many fish can shoot the gap of 1/2" netting. It doesn't look like they would fit, but our tanks magnify objects so they are much smaller than they appear in the water.

I would definitely go 1/4" on the netting. I have the 1/4" over my tank with my Naoko's, a purple firefish, and had a Randall's goby (lost from other causes), all of which have tried jumping and have stayed in. The Naoko's seemingly tries every day and has only gotten out once when I was cleaning the tank and the screens were off.

I have used that net before with the same results. The spacing is to big. Get the BRS netting its 1/4 and its clear to help avoid light issues. Works great and would run it regardless of wrasses or not.

I agree get smaller brs netting. 3/8" is straight across. It's more like 1/2" diagonally. You can also glue the 1/4" netting over the hole for the feeder. It's what I did and I've had no problems.

Welp - I broke my rule (again).

I bought two wrasses from FAOIS probably 1.5 months ago - A Katherines Fairy Wrasse and a McCosker Flasher Wrasse.

After drip acclimation - I put them into my 310 which has BRS netting on all openings. This time - no jumpers.

The McCosker is still doing fine as of today. I did have some trouble with him while transferring from the drip acclimation to the tank: he bit down on the hand net and wouldn't let go. I needed a pair of tweezers to carefully pry his mouth off the net (which took a good ten minutes of sweating and work). Surprisingly - there's no harm done - he's out and swimming and eating all day long.

The Katherine wrasse though - I found him on Saturday wedged in a piece of pukani - completely stuck and completely dead. Had to get a pair of tweezers to pull him out.

Stupid wrasse. What was he thinking?

All I know that that your system is awesome .. .. .. By the way Destiny 2 coming soon!

Sry to hear about the last wrasse, but I'm willing to bet he went out the feeding hole also as you mentioned. Fish become accumstomed to where the food is being supplied, and he might have been waiting for it to hit the surface. The second it did, the wrasse darted at it and unfortunately, launched himself out of the tank.

Find yourself a small funnel (check Michael's craft store) and put it in that 1" hole and the pellets can drop down through it. You can use a couple drops of crazy glue to fix it in place on the net. The small end of the funnel will keep any other from accidentally jumping out.

Back