Ok .... what is it and how do i get rid of it?

yznhmr

In Memoriam
Ok .... what is it and how do i get rid of it?

alge1.JPG

alge2.JPG

Eewwwww.....I think that top one is bryopsis.

Hate to say, but that stuff is a nightmare if it gets hold in your system.

My yellow tang took care of this stuff pretty good when I got some on a piece of rock. HTH

i caught my yellow and sailfin (redsea) out of my main and put them in the prop tank tonight (source of said fern) see if they eat it...

I am currently pulling handfulls out of my tank. I have resorted to taking out much of my LR and putting it in a seperate tank with a skimmer and no light. Get a little busy and.....BOOM, huge problems. Im also doing water changes every 5-7 days. If there is something that kills this algea, please let me know.

is that the sort of thing UV filters can help with? Killing off the spores floating in the water n such or is that just an old wives tale I am remembering...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8917064#post8917064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lsvagabond
is that the sort of thing UV filters can help with? Killing off the spores floating in the water n such or is that just an old wives tale I am remembering...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8914851#post8914851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mhurley
BTW...if it is bryopsis, check this
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167632

also check out this months Reef Keeping article on macro algae.

Wanted to thank Dave @ Oceans floor, and Jim @ Coral Pardise for their assistance with this matter.. still looking for Ideas.. any one know anything that eats or might eat this stuff?
PS thanks Mike...

I have had luck with foxface, but its definately a hit and miss. T.crispata nudies (letttuce slugs) have also worked, but they usually find overflows or powerheads before they get the bryopsis. Many removal and super low nutrients will bve your best bet

i have a yellow, unicorn and naso and they eat all kinds of algae especially hair type like there is no tommorrow.

Back