OK...Which killed my fish???

Radicaljbr

I had 4 fish and they all died in about 2 hours.

I have a huge algea problem which you can see from my gallery(algea problem is another topic not discussed here).

What happened is that I got my new Tunze 6100 in yesterday and installed it.

I thought I was doing a good job at removing my aglea bloom, but as soon as i installed this JET from hell (actually, I love this thing), it blasted off a ton of algea.

Which do you think killed my fish?

1. The strong water current (3175 GPH)

2. Too much algea mixed in the water.

I mean the water turned green and looked like is was a huge algea storm in there. I am thinking maybe they got too much algea in their system and killed them. As soon as I saw they were all breathing rapidly, I took them out and put into another tank. Too late.

1 Regal tang
1 clown
1 flame angle
1 Lawnmower blemmy

All gone.

I do not want to put fish back in till I know what happened.

I have other threads started about the algea problem so please ask questions there about the algea problem. Here, I just want to know what might have killed the fish so sudden.

Thanks

Whoa, you have 3000 gph water current in that 105 gallon?? That's WAY over kill... what exactly were you trying to do? Start a whirlpool in your tank? ;)

I see many people have way more than that. Most everyone suggested on here that that is what I get for my size tank.

So you think the water flow is too much? It is only x30

That is hardly any flow at all. Post all of your water parameters, and someone might be able to help find the real cause.

Brad

I tried going with something along the lines of 20x of water flow than my tank size and it almost killed my inhabitants. I had to opt for a serious reduction in water flow or my fish weren't going to make it (don't ask why I guess they couldn't handle it).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6517954#post6517954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dascharisma
That is hardly any flow at all. Post all of your water parameters, and someone might be able to help find the real cause.

Brad

My parameters are all fine and posted in another thread somewhere here in regards to the algea. As stated they died shortly after this 6100 was introduced. Like within an hour.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6517978#post6517978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andynyc
I tried going with something along the lines of 20x of water flow than my tank size and it almost killed my inhabitants. I had to opt for a serious reduction in water flow or my fish weren't going to make it (don't ask why I guess they couldn't handle it).

One nice thing about the 6100 is that you can adjust the speed. I do have it turned down and the flow is actually smaller than the stated 3175 which is it's max.

I am kinda leaning on their gills getting clogged or something with algea.

I am only guessing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6518079#post6518079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KingsX
I am pushin 2700GPH in a 100gal, 60 X 18 X 20 and need more!!!!!

lol. I guess with my return, I am at around 3700 with the 6100 at full power.

It does tend to move my DSB a little in one corner. Kind of looks cool though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6518174#post6518174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clutch
hmmm phosphates. Is tank grounded?

0 phosphates on reading, but a ton of aglea. So I am sure there are phosphates.

Again, just trying to see if the current or all the algea getting blown in the water could have killed them.

My parameters are all fine and this would not have killed all in less than an hour. Has to have something to do with putting the 6100 in.

Grounding is all fine.

Thanks

Is it possible the extreme increase in flow stirred up an ammonia spike? I believe you--and think they suffocated. What kind of algae was stirred up--hair or small, granular? BTW i too have a 6100 and 6060 in a 65g w/ mag18--the more flow the better !!

Ok ...seems like everyone is on the same page that the flow is ok.

I thought so

Wrott.....I have HA as seen in my gallery. I am not sure about the ammonia spike idea. Where would the ammonia come from? My Deep sand bed is not getting stirred up too much except in one corner very little.

I really leaning towards the fact the the water was so cloudy wit tons of algea flwoing around that the fish could not breath with with it all.

On the other hand, last year, I changed all my CC to a 6 inch DSB and had a sand storm that lastes 3 or 4 days. Lost NO fish then.

I think all that algea in the water must have been toxic some how.

Wish some of our old experts were still around to ask.

Salineh2o....your fish love the flow? That is a ton more flow than I have so I guess my flow is fine. Maybe I will even turn it up a notch.

Thanks

You sure your hands and arms were clean when you put them into the tank to install the new equipment?

It's often an oversight, but a very real possibility given the odd circumstances surrounding the death.

jb

Grim...No, I never really gave that any thought. Good question. Can't remeber messing with anything that day that would have been toxic. I know in the summer when I am doing the lawn outside and messing with gas ran equipment, I always wait till the next day to make sure the gas has been washed well and has had time to disipate.

Snails, crabs and shrimp seem to be ok. My couple of corals seem to be ok. Don't think it could have been something on my hands, but you never know.

Maybe I changed my sons diper right before and did not wash my hands. That would kill a whole city.

:D

pollution, you mentioned that the increased flow moved a bunch of your DSB. there is the problem. you released locked up gasses etc... this caused for sure a spike and thats what killed them.

John.....As I think I mentioned somewhere above, it really only messed with a tiny littel bit of sand in one of the corners. I am sure this is a possiblility, but it maybe only moved about 1/8" of the surface before I noticed it doing this and then I redirected my PH.

I do not know how much sand has to be disturbed before gas is released and I am not an expert on DSBs.

I do think you bring up a good point though and this could be the cause. I still would wonder why the crabs, snail and shrimp were not effected.

Maybe I will ask Dr. Ron at his new home this question.

Deffenitily could be the cause.

oxygen depletion.

you put all this algae and crap in the water collumn, and it used up all your oxygen. Hence the heavy breathing and fish death.

Did you aclimate them before you put them in the other tank?
They were stressed already, then you throw them in a new tank.

It seams to me that you had enough flow to keep the tank full of O2.

Back