Old MP40 - issues with dry side

vkv

Hi folks,

My 6 year old MP40 had the wet side magnet rust out a couple of months ago. I managed to source a new wetside and it was working fine for a couple of weeks.

Please bear with the long winded problem description below.

The controller blinks red and green indicating a stall. It is completely non-responsive after this. Only way is to remove the plug.

The wet side rotates freely and it has been thoroughly cleaned.

The dry side magnet rotates freely if I spin it by hand. No rubbing or roughness seen.

When it starts up, the magnet jerks, starts to spin and then stops.

I tried loosening the magnet from the rotor thinking that perhaps the starting torque was too much for the motor. and it manages to spin after this but stops if I tighten the nut.

With a loosened magnet, I have tried a reset successfully but it didnt help.

On the glass, it fails to spin or rotate the wetside.

I have read through all the information on the web about dealing with such a problem with no luck.

With the above information, would anybody have a view what might be the problem and any ideas on how to get it running.

All help appreciated.

Cheers

Yeah the coils in the dry side most likely overheated and started to burn out.
You will need a new dry side motor.

Just some advice to prevent this from happening again.
I would take a bet that you cleaned the wet side in Vinegar at some point in time.
Do not soak any of your devices that have magnets covered in plastic in Vinegar. The vinegar ions will penetrate the plastic and reach the magnet and in a few weeks the magnet will rust and make the plastic swell or swell and crack. So never soak the wet side of an MP10 - MP60 or any other submersible pump in vinegar.

Rob

Many thanks Rob

I may have cleaned the wetside with dilute vinegar perhaps once a long time back. Good info there on use ( or not) of vinegar.

So now its back to figuring out what replacement pump to get.

Cheers,
Venkat

Many thanks Rob

I may have cleaned the wetside with dilute vinegar perhaps once a long time back. Good info there on use ( or not) of vinegar.

So now its back to figuring out what replacement pump to get.

Cheers,
Venkat

Your welcome. I suggest you use Diluted Citric Acid as a replacement cleaner.

Rob

Back