Old Reef New life

Ah64av8tor

Premium Member
Its funny how you always return to the things you love!

I have been Reef keeping for over 25 years and have seen and used almost every method known. Eight years ago I built the SPS Reef of my dreams, a soft coral side a SPS side a Frag tank, big sump with Plenum and seperate Refugium with huge skimmer on Ozone and Calcium reactor.

After suffering a major crash several years ago at a very large loss of monetary and labor investment my once fantastic SPS Reef was turned into a FOLR tank. It was crushing to my spirit and motivation. I had a brand new Apex controller on the shelf to replace my AC3. I never hooked up the Apex and slowly disconnected all the reactors and fancy gizmos I had. The old 150 on the porch which shared the sump with my SPS tank developed a leak so I pulled the rock and fish and just put it all in the other 150 and although it was over crowded every thing seemed fine. The Dart pump on my ORCA 250 developed a squeal so I just turned it off and tried a much smaller in sump skimmer. Then I started having fish losses and hair algae breakouts and the wife started threatening me with tearing it down.

Well that being said it was time to tear it down or bring it back to life.

First was a big water change / vacuuming the sand bed and large dose of Carbon and GFO, blasting rocks off and pulling algae. I dug out some old Tunze streams to kick up the flow to keep the detritus suspended in the water column and with twice daily filter sock changes it is looking much better. I added a small cleanup crew of 20 astrea snails 20 blueleg crabs and 6 emerald crabs, they are doing a good job so far but Ill need at least twice as many on the next addition.

Next step was to get the Actinics running and try to hook up the Apex. Well it had been so long since I messed with a controller I had no idea where to start. After a week of firmware upgrades and several posts to the Neptune forum and a few calls for tech support. Once the apex was running on the bench it was time to gut the cabinet and knock out the dust bunnies. Now I'm running the latest and greatest programs and driving 4 Tunze 6260 streams. The flow program consists of 4 virtual outlets, 9 profiles, 2 variable speed outlets. What a pain that was to figure out! I didn't write all the code but but I feel accomplished just the same for figuring out what it all meant.

The photos are from early in the original build, but Ill get some new ones up when I can find the camera :thumbsup:

I have been inventorying equipment and making a wish list, cash is short so I will have to take it slowly, and sell some extra equipment and live rock. Ill gladly take frags in trade when it gets to that point but first i have to get a few PH probes and an ORP probe and a new Dart for the ORCA.

Once I get the Skimmer/Ozone and Co2 running the next purchase will be the Maxspect Gyre and IceCap control module. Then sell the Tunzes and save for LED pendants and convert the Icecap VHOs back to T5s. Its funny how I have run T5s twice before. The last time I didn't like the T5s as much as the VHOs, but I don't think i have much choice now. I ran T5s when in Germany in the early 90s but they weren't available here in the states at the time, only VHOs & CFL were available when I got back stateside. I figure I only have 8 months to collect endcaps and reflectors before the last of my VHO stash runs out unless anyone knows where to find some 46.5 VHO Actinics. Who knows maybe the T5 will die out also and Ill have to go all LED.

I remember going to your house for the reef club meeting back then. Was very impressed.

I remember going to your house for the reef club meeting back then. Was very impressed.

Thanks, I have some good pics of it at its peek, it will get there again! Ill try to dig some up.

Here is one pretty early on.

Howdy and welcome back.

the next purchase will be the Maxspect Gyre and IceCap control module. Then sell the Tunzes

You may want to reconsider replacing very reliable working water-movers with a Maxspect Gyre. Despite a nice massive sheet of current, IMO the only thing reliable about a Gyre is their unreliability. If you're into replacing components often, then this Maxspect/CoralVue product is the way to go. I've had mostly only complaints on these devices - from dead in the box, multiple shattered rotors, bad power cords, shorted out transformers, controllers that stop controlling and burnt up motors. Since release, my shop's XF-150 as been down approximately 50% of the time due to one issue or another on that list. To CoralVue's credit they've continued to patch up all units that I'm aware. IMO, thorough product testing was rushed and incomplete to get the Gyre on shelves before competitors moved in with similar designs. With all the problems that Maxspect has experienced, I can only imagine the nightmare even cheaper knock-offs will be. LOL, it's all about saving a buck right? I only bring this up because of your fondness for well engineered and built products.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks John, I feel so out of the loop with technology, what is working and what's not so much! The Tunze pumps are old and a few have failed all need maintenance i.e new impellers besides they are huge and on the open side of the reef are an eye sore, so I would like to clean that up with a smaller controllable unit. You know me I'm old school and like stuff that works and stick with it. I'll be up to see you in the next few weeks.

P.S. What's your thoughts on the longevity of the T5 bulbs? Should I prepare for converting back over or just go with LEDs? I still have several IceCap 660s to do something with.

Last edited:
Although it was all the rage at first, I did it too, IceCap ballasts are Hell on T5 lamps. T5s do not handle well the rapid start and overcharge/heating that those ballast dish out. Within 3 months or less, depending on the lamps original color temperature, I found myself noticing the color shift and would replace the lamps. Same holds true for all ballasts that are not specifically for T5s. The best longevity on T5s is achieved when the proper "program start" ballast is employed.

Although it was all the rage at first, I did it too, IceCap ballasts are Hell on T5 lamps. T5s do not handle well the rapid start and overcharge/heating that those ballast dish out. Within 3 months or less, depending on the lamps original color temperature, I found myself noticing the color shift and would replace the lamps. Same holds true for all ballasts that are not specifically for T5s. The best longevity on T5s is achieved when the proper "program start" ballast is employed.

Ok so what's a fella to do? Is it possible to get VHO Actinics? In 8 months I'll be at the max end of life for my VHOs and have to address my lighting situation.

Thanks

Unfortunately, VHOs have gone the way of the Do-do. There is no other option. Replace the ballasts or live with premature spectrum shifting of the lamps.

Unfortunately, VHOs have gone the way of the Do-do. There is no other option. Replace the ballasts or live with premature spectrum shifting of the lamps.

LOL ...... Hey, that could be construded as insulting..... Some of us Do-dos are still Reefing!
So do you still need Actinic supplementation with the new high end LEDs like the Kessle 350?

Thanks again for all you do for the Reefing community!

LOL ...... Hey, that could be construded as insulting..... Some of us Do-dos are still Reefing!

Then I just really insulted myself as I predate, by many years, just about everyone on this forum.

So do you still need Actinic supplementation with the new high end LEDs like the Kessle 350?

That would be best discussed and viewed in person because it puts me dangerously close to violating RC's UA.

Thanks again for all you do for the Reefing community!

Welcome back! This is a cool little article, it's obviously biased towards AquaIllumination, but interesting none the less.
https://************.com/2016/03/07/were-using-robots-to-measure-light-intensity-now/

I'd say the biggest change in the hobby has been the introduction of the "connected reef". However reefing is like golf, you can spend a ton of money on clubs, but if your swing is bad, so is your shot, regardless of what brand clubs you have...

Edit: looks like the link was blocked. Google "AquaIllumination robotic PAR" and you should find the article

Welcome back! This is a cool little article, it's obviously biased towards AquaIllumination, but interesting none the less.
https://************.com/2016/03/07/were-using-robots-to-measure-light-intensity-now/

I'd say the biggest change in the hobby has been the introduction of the "connected reef". However reefing is like golf, you can spend a ton of money on clubs, but if your swing is bad, so is your shot, regardless of what brand clubs you have...

Edit: looks like the link was blocked. Google "AquaIllumination robotic PAR" and you should find the article

I can remember having detailed lighting conversations with Sanjay way back when, now I'm completely lost! LOL

Yes, I'm technologically challenged when it comes to all that kind of stuff, this Do-do is being drug into the 21st century kicking and screaming. I started Reefing before there was an Internet and it seems now you cant be a Reefer with out it.

I tried to connect the Apex with a wireless adapter so I could always check in on my phone (the wife was tired of the 30 foot Ethernet cable stretched across the dinning room table, can you believe that?) I couldn't get it the damn thing programed, The apex was hard enough but the gaming adapter was impossible to get set up and the little Indian girl was no help (well she may have been Pakistani its hard to tell with all those foreign customer support call centers)

One cool thing about t5s is the space saving and wattage savings you can place two t5s in the same space as one vho and instead of the one vho actinic you can have a blue+ and a coral+ . then where the other actinic vho is place a purple+ and a blue+t5 you will get more spectrum and color out of 4t5s vs two vho actinics ...they have actinic t5s but the blue plus is a brighter and better bulb spectrum wise ..all imo

I have spent a lot of time looking at my needs list along with my wish list, and at what needs maintenance but is still useful. just getting this tank up and running properly is going to require some cash. That leaves what I have excess of and will not be used any longer so its up for sale.

First is the AC3 DC8 and Aqua Surf: I know that they are old but they still work like a champ and have never been exposed to salt water and have No corrosion anywhere. I looked at the shape of several for sale that had been under the stand next to the sump that are covered in rust. I was thinking $250 for all three and that is about $75 per unit which seems in line with most I've seen. all you would need is a new temp and PH probe and your in business.

Model: RLSS DB10u
10" Internal Skimmer List price: $759.00 used only a few months for sale $450 OBO. This skimmers works fantastic and the DC pump is extremely economical to run. This is an in-sump Skimmer, it took up too much room in my sump and I couldn't get it to the proper operating depth because of the physical dimensions of the baffles in my sump, so I am going to go back to the Orca250.

RLSS Protein skimmers W/ Waveline DC 12000 pump W/ feed/service timer which restarts after 30 minutes. The pump employs a soft start, which means the pump ramps up over time to ensure longevity. Internal Skimmer Measurement:: 14.25" x10.24" x 21.65"Power Input:100-240V, 50-60hzAC convert to DC Power: 40W max.Air intake: :900-1800L/h Recommended for 300-400 Gallons.

Pacific coast heater chiller CW-1000 -- 1 hp Chiller Unit List price: $1200.00 used for 1 year and has had a recent service for sale $550 OBO This is an older model in Black that has been in storage for about 5 years If I don't get a serious offer Ill hook it back up.

And then there is about 200 lbs of live rock that was in the 150 on the porch the large pieces went in the old SPS tank and are covered in coraline the rest went into the sump and are covered in life and some beautiful sponges. It is some great live rock with No bad hitchhikers $4 per lb for the purple $3 per lb for the other.

What I need now is a new or low mileage used Gold Dart to bring back the Orca 250, 2 Neptune PH Probes and an ORP Probe.

Last edited:
Back