Old T. squamosa?

Timfish

Timfish
Premium Member
I've had this T. squamosa over 10 years and it's grown from roughly 4-5" to about 13". The last month or so it's been randomly extending it's mantle only part way. Mildly worrisome as it historicly is always open full but after a day or two it would be open full again for a few days. Then today I noticed it's shells were mismatched and picked it up and noticed the hinge was mostly missing! :eek: Obviously I don't know how old it was when I got it but as it's still shy of the max size for the species I would expect it to live longer. The most recent addition about 10 months ago was a Matted Filefish, Acreichthys tomentosus, which has never been seen to bother the clam or any of the corals in the tank. So my question is how long do T. squamosa's live and is there any sign of aging or has anyone had first hand experience with this damage being caused by the filefish.

Attachments

• 0709141439a.jpg
    0709141439a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
squammies and all tridacs can live many many years, but yours is close to its max size in a tank environment

I know this might sound crazy but if I remember correctly, I read that someone glued a 'synthetic hinge' to their clam. It's kind of smart if you think about it, especially if it would save your beautiful clam

That was me, actually. Just used a strip of cotton T-shirt material, and crazy-glued it at either end across the bottom like a strap. Worked like charm. I had suggested it to Floyd.R.Turbo more recently, so you could ask him whether it worked or not.

If I do nothing I'm pretty sure it's not long for this life. I was playing with the idea of some of the silicones as it would remain flexible and wouldn't deteriate. It certainly wouldn't be to hard to set it in a container where just the shell was exposed to work on. Still doesn't answer the question if hinge deteriation is just a condition of old age though (like me going bald :-/ ).

This have happened more than once. In the past other people have follow advises and fashioned a artificial hinge for the clam. I would use a generous amount of super glue and synthetic material or clothes that will not degrade in the water environment in our tank. I seem to remember that in time they will form a new hinge.

You need to find out what cause this in the first place. Other cases it have been trauma related. If your clam's problem was not trauma related, it may cause the demise of your clam and fixing the hinge may not reverse the problem.
Best of luck.

Back