Once more into the breach... 375-shorty

sfsuphysics

When reading through many of these build threads I realize the one thing I hate the most about it is how long they take, very few people start a build thread showing all the steps with everything done, meaning many months (or years) pass as the thing is being built... well I'm not a book reading type of person because I want my stories told in 2 hours or so... Well turn about is fair play, and here's my thread :D

Here's what I got to work with...
dscf3020i.jpg

Soak in this picture, this is the only one in this really long wordy post :D

5 feet wide, by 6 feet long, by 20 inches tall (the shorty part), thought about naming it the Baby Oregon Reef, but really didn't want to put myself anywhere close to that pedestal. Of yeah the most important part... it was "free" ($32 for a U-haul truck as it wouldn't quite fit in my Prius, a suggestion did come to flip it upside down and drive with it like a hat on the car... but I declined that suggestion) :) Passed down to me after being in someones storage shed for a while, who doesn't have the room for it.. lets be honest a 5 foot by 6 foot footprint for a tank is something people don't usually have room for.

The tank is acrylic, and there is some work that has to go into it. The sides are completely covered with old coraline algae or a cyano bacteria that need to be cleaned off so I can see how much sanding needs to be done.

I see circular voids in the side crust and the little black ziptie grips that showed me the previous owner had no fewer than 8 vortech pumps on it. There are 4 massive overflow holes, 3.5" diameter, three 1.5" holes and two 2.5" holes for what I'm guessing was some sort of closed loop. Luckily I got bulkheads for all of them, as well as some other plumbing parts that might cost quite a bit of more. I'm not particularly pleased at how close 4 of the closed loop holes are to the acrylic, with pipes sticking up there's no way that's going to look natural, the two bigger 2.5" holes are near the "front" pane too, I might plug them and redrill some so that I can cover them up with some sort of rock work (and make it still possible to clean the acrylic). Also I do not see any return holes on the tank, which makes me think it went over the rim which is quite large (probably 8+ inches around the tank) as I can't honestly think someone used a closed loop at the bottom for a return... power goes out and there's all sorts of problems going on :D

Now here's the bad news, there's really going to be no more updates on this thread for a long time (the payback portion *cackle*), maybe not as long as some of those building a house around their massive tank... but I'm not going to jump right into things as there's a long list of things that need to get done first before I even bother with cleaning up the tank and seals on the bulkheads (they're very nice bulkheads too, not those cheapy ones)

To-do list (incomplete)
-First and foremost, figure out how to align the tank. I'm really leaning towards a peninsula style tank with 3 sides viewable, but I might have to clean the tank up to see if any of the sides are beyond repair and change my plans to possibly a "corner" tank.
-The tank will be completely enclosed, as much as I'd love to have a top viewable tank, I'd rather have the energy savings by completely enclosing it to retain heat (the largest energy waste), this involves venting to the outside but that still will be a cheaper alternative over the long run of letting the air get to the outside.
-Of course this begs the question of how am I got to access the tank, I thought about a "behind" space the tank akin to a "fishroom", but that will push the tank out at least another foot and a half to two feet in the 6 foot direction, the room the tank is going to 15' x 25' unfortunately with a beam right in the center of the room which isn't too horrible but every foot I take away from that center beam just makes the huge room more "maze like" besides, even with access to the back it's not like I can do much from there, this isn't a tank that's 24" from front to back, it's 72". Some sort of removable side panels (I'm thinking magnetically attached) to allow me to get over the tank... possible a scaffolding system to let me hang over the tank too (akin to the Oregon Reef)
-I also have a 8 foot by 3 foot shorty acrylic tank too that I never got setup... part of me is really tempted to try and attach both tanks... but part of me is screaming "don't do it dumb***" (for a multitude of reasons... I'm hoping the saner side of me prevails), who knows maybe I'll chop it up and turn it into a sump.

Now that's just the thought process ideas behind the tank, no physical work yet :D which I'll admit thinking and dreaming up ideas I'm really good at.
-Cleaning the entire room. The room, as large as it is... originally was a kitchen/living space "In-law" unit on the first floor/basement level now is a laundry room, and tank room (with an 80 gallon glass tank, and 4'x3' 180g tank (current tank)). Unfortunately there's a pool table(no legs sitting upright) and enough random fish equipment that might get me qualified for "The Horders- Fish Tank Edition" on TLC that desperately needs to be cleaned out, given away, or thrown away. Seriously need to inventory what I have and make decisions about what to keep and what not to. Also on top of that there's a few bookshelves attached to the walls with like a ton of how-to electronics books, and multiple full encyclopedia sets (they were here before I was) and I know for a fact absolutely no one will accept encyclopedias as donations anymore but part of me has a really hard time throwing them in the recycling can.

-New construction. After everything is cleaned then the mess can begin. The room was built elevated over a concrete slab (which continues all the way through the garage area), I assume when this was turned into a liveable space way back when before building codes and so forth they wanted something a little warmer than concrete to walk on (it is San Francisco), so built a raised room and covered everything in drywall. Unfortunately I have a feeling they did a ****poor job on framing the floor (there's a noticeable bounce if I hop up and down in some areas... plus the washing machine shakes the whole house when it goes into a spin cycle :D)... so I'll have to rip up the old flooring (unfortunately old 1" T&G pine boards that were hammered in with framing nails not fishing nails) extend parts of the floor all the way to the concrete floor, I want to add fiberglass insulation and a vapor barrier to the floor joists too (the area under is a "cold zone" while not as cold as the Northern climates it can get cold enough to allow moisture to condense on the surface and create mold issues), then re-sheet the floor with OSB T&G flooring (can't reuse the pine... trust me I've tried to carefully pry up parts of it... it ain't happening), then resurface the floor hopefully with something durable, and water tight.

-Pull some extra power to the area, not much a couple 20A circuits should be more than plenty with the existing circuitry. But I'll have to move some ceiling lights around too... drywall will be all over the place.

-Then I also need to do the same with the walls, rip drywall down, put in insulation, use a more moisture resistance drywall (greenboard probably.. not sure where the state-of-the-art is with drywall.. and what's available in my area), and probably cover with a either a moisture resistant pant or FRP for easy cleanup/moisture. The upside is if I put this in a peninsula direction, at most I need to rip out a 5 foot wide section of the drywall (ignoring how many holes I need to make to pull wire) and the ceiling over the area, I don't have to do the entire room. However the flooring will have to be the entire room, although that can be done in sections as time permits.

- Of course I need to build a stand too... I'm good at building beefy... and being as this is San Francisco, maybe beefy is a better alternative than plywood only (doubly so given the footprint of the whole tank).

So that's pretty much the extent of major construction associated with the tank. Then of course there's the tank itself, which is way down the line but some ideas running around.
-Lighting : Think I'm going to finally do away with halides. I'm currently building an LED fixture, that I need to test on the existing tank to see how well it holds up/color/etc. But I'm probably looking at $300 or so per fixture which is fairly cheap for LEDs... I was going to go with the Maxspect Razor, but saving $200 per fixture sounds worth while considering I'll have time to complete these (plus there's a couple more channels of control and the colors of each channel are more to my liking). The upside of a shorty tank is I can have the lighting higher and have it cover a larger area, so I probably won't need as many fixtures as a taller tank. Plus I'm a real strong proponent to the idea that every square inch of the tank does not needs to have bright lighting, that 60% of tank that has no rocks (and corals) over it? Yeah enough lighting so it's not dark is good enough for me. The downside to LEDs though... heat, halides help heat my existing 180g tank which is open to the room, which is why an enclosed tank area to hold onto heat is of utmost need, last I want to do is trade off 250W of halides for 150W of LEDs, but then need twice as many watts worth of heaters because most of a LEDs waste heat goes above the light.

-Water movement. Well the upside is have enough MP40W parts for I believe 5 full pumps, plus I have an MP60. I also have a couple of Tunze 6100 that I use for mixing water *blush*... but I might upgrade to some beefier versions of the Tunze pumps for the back wall to push water the entire 6 foot length. If I go peninsula there's not going to be any pumps on the side. I'm not convinced Vortech pumps will be sufficient to push water the entire length of the tank either... I think this might be one of those "after everything is set up" decisions though. I don't want to use a closed loop... but I might just to add a little extra movement, and those affordable DC pumps that are coming out look damn sexy (especially if I can control them!), unfortunately this is a decision that needs to be made before everything is setup :D.

-Aquascaping, livestock, etc: I'll make these decisions later. I'm a fan of open spaces with few fish (I have 5 in my 180g tank), but I'm going to want more fish, and more spaces for those fish to hang-out. While the idea of what Steve Weast did is tempting, not sure I could pull it off... plus I like a little bit of originality :D

P.S. If you actually read through all of that to get to this line, I do apologize for the length between updates from this point on. Everyone likes to see a big/epic tank build... but the impatient nature of many of us (including me) wants instant gratification :)

I like the size of the tank. Cant beat a free tank! I would shoot for a peninsula style tank. Cant wait to see more pics.

Well, well, well, and here I thought there was no one that could compete with me being overly verbose and lacking a substantial number of pictures. But you sir are a contender! :D

I know all about extreamly long builds. I'm coming up on a two year anniversary since I started my thread and three years since I cut my first piece of plywood for the tank and still no fish in it!

I'll be following your progress, however slow it ends up being, as your tank is similar in footprint size to mine.

I did go peninsula with mine and although I plan to add more flow, I feel I'm sitting pretty good with return, stream pump, and surge flow all coming from the side against the wall. I've used a alternating gyre flow pattern from the returns augmented by the same alternation from two Sicce stream style pumps and an acutated ball valve surge. I'm thinking I might add a couple of Tunze for nutrient export (detritus suspension) a few times a day.

Good luck! I'll be following for sure.

Sweet pick up on the tank. Really love those dimensions too. Unlimited possibilities. Do you need a top with the warm weather of SF?
Corey

Well, well, well, and here I thought there was no one that could compete with me being overly verbose and lacking a substantial number of pictures. But you sir are a contender! :D
Well I always thought I was a writer at heart... I just suck at proof reading :D

Sweet pick up on the tank. Really love those dimensions too. Unlimited possibilities. Do you need a top with the warm weather of SF?
Corey
It's downstairs where the temperature stays rather cool, low 60s and can get in the 50s at night, and while that's hardly freezing temps but it still is a temperature gradient that translates to me paying more for electricity

Damn a year later ... well I've been slowly picking at things making headway. Taking so long to plan everything before I start building up/tearing apart, however now I got a plan so things are going. Assuming no big set backs, probably looking to water in the system within a month maybe.

So here is what my 180 looked like at it greatest. And I want it back!
fts18020090824.jpg

Here's a anemonefugium that was plumbed into the tank. When I moved them, drained the water, was able to count them, 31 of the suckers. *sigh*
04hl.jpg

And everything went into it's temporary digs in the far corner of the room. Note, this picture is not set up to show you how you should do something. I take full responsibility should I die as a result of this setup. Yellow tang and foxface are not happy campers being reduced to the 4 foot tank on the floor.
ik3i.jpg

So my first issue was flooring, do I go with tiles, do I go with wood, ah screw it, I'm taking everything down to the concrete floor.
794m.jpg

Now not having a truck to haul stuff to the dump kind of put a hamper on this step. Do you know how long it takes to dump that mess when you stuffing stuff into a 20g garbage can? Yeah I still have some of it... but it's far enough out of the way that I can build around it and continue a weekly dumping.
p.s. this is is only about half the room... but most importantly it's the half where the tank will be so I can get that setup before attacking the other half. Besides the other tank is in that other half, so I need to set this up, move stuff over (after it's appropriately cycled).

Of course had to run power. I have plenty of 12-2 wire, and plenty of 12 gauge wire, but I wanted two 20amp circuits for the tank, so I did what any crazy man would do, I ran conduit inside the walls. Played a little drywall tetris trying to find a suitable place to put the junction boxes gotta love all the damn bracing...
POWAH_zps8d45b0ef.jpg

Then put down tiles so I wasn't on the bare concrete, and then reused some of those old beams for the stand, first with the base that all the 2x4s are going to be stacked on. Drywall is there to make sure I space everything correctly, I'll be using a full sized piece of drywall to cover the wood ;)
Base_zps7a0bf386.jpg.html

Then with the base stand for the sump.
P1010010_zpse7dc703c.jpg

Topped off
P1010012_zpseb2ffe73.jpg

And that's where I'm at now. See you in another year!

Ok ok, I said probably a month until things get wet. First things first, I need to get my taxes done, had these W2s sitting on my desk for a couple months maybe I should finally get that done. But I hope to have drywall up and FRP paneling over it by the weekend. Pretty busy weekend though so might not get much more than that done. A little muscle and I can get the sump moved in, baffled up and then pull out the buffer and clean it up all nice like.

I had forgotten about this thread, better subscribe so I don't miss it! Another in the long build club here, I do have an off topic question. Is all of that diagonal bracing part of your earthquake requirement there? No hurry, I can wait till 2015 for an answer :)

For the floor, the answer is no. That floor had zero structural elements with the rest of the house, those diagonals are only there to stiffen up the beams with respect to one another and just as easily could have been accomplished with perpendicular blocking like I did for the stand platform. The entire floor was added after the fact and was more likely than not built to create a downstairs/garage living area an "in-law" as they're called here.

For that wall where the power is, I'm sure it's trying to accomplish it, but it just as well could have been done with perpendicular blocking. In fact I'm a bit at a loss for what that's like that. My first thought was that it would be easier to hammer a nail in since this was built before nail guns, but all the rest of the exterior walls do have perpendicular bracing (also a fire stop). The way many SF houses are built is kind of scary, a huge empty void that is the 1st floor/garage/basement with posts to hold up the weight, but for lateral strength... squish. The upside is the framing holding up the 2nd level is beefy 2 x 10s that have a very tight grain.

Banged out a bit more

Hello sexy
P1010013_zps3c85ec23.jpg

Put up that plastic paneling stuff on the walls, mold resistant so I don't have to worry about any humidity issues eating away at the paint on drywall (which it will). Also installed vent, humdistat that's connected to it, all digital and snazzy like! :D
P1010014_zps75d3e5b1.jpg

And a sump... now I need to buff out some of the haze on it. Ignore those other holes in the wall, that's not going to be in "tank room" space.
P1010017_zpsa8099ec7.jpg

to be continued

Well seems to be no interest left in this thread, so here's a picture of the tank on the stand, with water starting to cycle in the sump.

Tank-Frontangle_zps9b4a0434.jpg

It's been fun guys :)

Are you going to enclose the top at all or are you going to leave it open?

For a slow build thread you got your tank together pretty damn quickly!

Nice build, I'll be watching. I have been trying the build mine since 09. I hope to be done by 2015. Lol don't stop

Are you going to enclose the top at all or are you going to leave it open?
Everything is going to be enclosed, imagine three viewing windows with multiple access panels on the three sides. The white stuff you see in the earlier pictures is plastic paneling stuff that's mold resistant and the fan is to vent humidity if it gets beyond a set amount, which I don't know what it should be set at yet.

I've had to built this a bit unconventional compared to most tanks due to space limitations. First platform was for the sump, the sump being 8' x 3' would be impossible to get under the stand if I built the whole stand. Ditto with the main tank, so that structure went on after the sump. Then the top part won't go on until after I've sanded the scratches out since I'll be camping a few days inside the tank and will want access in and out. In fact I don't really plan on getting any finish work done until the whole thing is aquascaped and water is running through it, current the sump is cycling with all the dead stuff that there will be so hopefully that'll minimize any cycle when I finally get water in the main tank. When all is moved over I can tear out the subfloor for the rest of the room, which is where the current tank holding the fish & corals are, and washer/dryer. Then after everything is cleaned up I can lay down the floor for the rest of the room. So yeah, it's being done one step at a time.

Back