one coral peeling, others doing great

codydemmel4

just got a coral from LA (Divers Den) that was browned out and now it is peeling.

the rest of my SPS is doing great.

Parms:

Calc 450
Alk 8.5
Phosphate 0.-0.05
Nitrate is 0

My other corals are doing great, I dipped this coral and saw nothing. It was doing fine for the first week but I just fed some food with garlic and now I noticed it is peeling in a lot of the spots. I had it on the bottom of my tank to get used to my lights, I have 8x80w t5s.

im scared now that i should just frag the parts that are seemed to be living still and throw the rest out or is it posisble that could come back? The skin went from being fine to peeling off in the matter of a couple hours, it also looks like there are barnacles in the middle of the acropora or more like all over it. This was from Divers Den

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Last edited:
Your piece is likely a wild maricultured piece and is not use to your average conditions, it is likely it's stressed from shipping.

This isn't too out of the ordinary. I would guess and this is purely a guess is that it isn't getting as much flow as it's used to.

I would frag a some of it. It looks like a nice milli. I wouldn't give up on the rest of it though.

Yeah, I'd take a big frag off it just in case - from an area where the tissue is darker. I imagine you're going to lose a large portion of it, and maybe all of it. I usually blame either temperature issues in transit or alkalinity changes from tank to tank when an Acro starts to RTN like that. I'm not sure if I'm right about that, but I know if an Acro shipment shows up particularly chilly or warm I will have RTN troubles within the next 24-48 hours.

When I buy colonies or mini-colonies I always take a frag off or even split it in half. There's plenty there to make two pieces, and then I put them in different areas of the tank with different lighting/flow. Sometimes one dies, sometimes they both live, rarely they both die. If they both live then I can easily tell which conditions the coral prefers, and I'll join the two pieces back together in the preferred spot.

Yeah, I'd take a big frag off it just in case - from an area where the tissue is darker. I imagine you're going to lose a large portion of it, and maybe all of it. I usually blame either temperature issues in transit or alkalinity changes from tank to tank when an Acro starts to RTN like that. I'm not sure if I'm right about that, but I know if an Acro shipment shows up particularly chilly or warm I will have RTN troubles within the next 24-48 hours.

When I buy colonies or mini-colonies I always take a frag off or even split it in half. There's plenty there to make two pieces, and then I put them in different areas of the tank with different lighting/flow. Sometimes one dies, sometimes they both live, rarely they both die. If they both live then I can easily tell which conditions the coral prefers, and I'll join the two pieces back together in the preferred spot.

Thanks everyone for their opinions and help. I waited too long to frag it and it all died, I am not sure how it RTNed so fast when everything else in the tank is doing great.

Back