Oops, I did a humpty dumpty and need help??

marc nichols

Premium Member
Giving my EuroReef skimmer it's annual deep cleaning and bounced the skimmer body off the concrete shop floor! The cone top separated from the body. What should I use to glue the parts back together?

I would try to order in just that part. I wouldn't want to chance a improper fit. I would rather pay a little extra to insure that disaster doesn't strike. I have seen skimmers go bad and it isn't pretty when it happens.

Acrylic "glue", Take it to someone who has done it before.. It seals just as if it never happend (with a crack!). If done correctly you can drop it again, 99% chance it will break in a completly different spot. the glue will "fuse" the acrylic back together.

this is an in-sump skimmer so a failure would not be catastrophic and there are no significant issues taking the skimmer off line for the days necessary to order in a replacement. So, my question is, what glue(s) are suitable? We are in a small community and I don't know if I can find the specialized acrylic bonding glue. Has anyone used JB Weld (a type of epoxy). I've found it to be exceptional in a wide range of applications.

this is an in-sump skimmer so a failure would not be catastrophic and there are no significant issues taking the skimmer off line for the days necessary to order in a replacement. So, my question is, what glue(s) are suitable? We are in a small community and I don't know if I can find the specialized acrylic bonding glue. Has anyone used JB Weld (a type of epoxy). I've found it to be exceptional in a wide range of applications.

JB Weld (and other metal-filled epoxies) are not a good idea for reef use.

You will want to use weld-on 3/4 to do this repair. It will melt/fuse/weld the two pieces of acrylic back together. You can purchase weld-on 3/4 (3 is slightly thinner then 4 so try for 4) on ebay all day long and have it shipped right to your door. Or look around for an acrylic or plastic shop in your town.

Back