Open source robot for testing and supplementation

Benoit T

Hello,

I created a DIY robot to perform water analysis and to automate the balling supplementation. I would like to know from you if some people are interested to reproduce it, or to contribute to the projet. If so, I will create a true documentation, assembly instruction, some tutorials (peristaltic pump calibration, how to calibrate for new tests, etc.).

Let's start with a video:

It is running on my tank with great accuracy since few weeks but it is still a work in progress.

Why a DIY solution?

- Because I am more confident using something that I have a perfect mastery of and that I can easily repair in case of issues.
- Because I would like to implement some feature that do not existin the commercial products in the future,
- Because I always need projects to keep myself occupied.
- Because the commercial products are too expensive for me.

Outlines

- My project runs on a Raspberry Pi and is able to perform liquid reagent based colorimetric tests.
- I have imposed on myself the constraint of using only reliable, accessible, and widely available components in the market for a total <500$ (excluding 3d printer).
- Most of the parts are 3d printed (including the peristaltic pumps).

Since deployed, 147 tests (KH and Ca) has been performed with success. Manual tests are still performed on a regular basis to confirm that the robot measurement are accurate (Fortunately, it is).

What remains to be done

- Design of a PCB. I iterated a lot on the electronic part. That is why, so far, all the components are on breadboards, with a tangled mess of wires.
- Front end: I will develop a web frontend (Web application using Bootstrap, VueJs, etc.). Currently, I am accessing it through some Jupyter notebooks.
- Fixing some 3d models (for example, some missing screw holes added by hand)

What could be the next iteration

- Having a double measurement of KH for safety. In addition to the colorimetric measurement, a ph probe based KH sensing (with acid injection) is added. With dual KH measurement, I would be confident enough to let fully the robot logic to drive the KH supplementation.
- Implementation of a salinity meter using some linear CMOS,
- handling powder based colorimetric tests with a DIY robotic arm (seems not easy to design...).

Your feedback is welcome! Any idea of features to add? Any remark?

PS: My native language is not English, so please excuse me for any potential errors.

First welcome to RC!

Second, that is awesome! I personally don’t have the skill for that but that is awesome. To be able to expand it sounds great!

Way above my abilities as well, but kudos to you for your work on this.

Thanks for all your replies,

For those curious, find below some implementation details.

The part on which I iterated the most are my peristaltic pumps. I eventually arrived at a design with 4 axes with ball bearings and several potential axis positions for multiple hose diameters. I am using Nema 17 stepper motors.

pumps detail.jpg

I printed 8 pumps and ended up with a nice stability on the flow (0.302 ml / rotation +/- 0.05 ml depending on the pump). The design seems robust over time because after few weeks of usage, I asked a pump to provide 500ml and got 501 ml.

Back